Thread: Evenings on the Russian - Report Please

Default Evenings on the Russian - Report Please

Does anyone have any current info on fishing the Russian in the evenings this week? I've got all my gear in the truck and I'm trying to decide if tonight would be a good time to go.

Thanks in advance - JRT

Default evenings

All I know is it was slower on Sunday evening, and Monday they were catching fish, but slower, steady though. I caught my three Sunday night but it took several hours, and Monday was crowded and slower fishing. I saw some doing well, but lots of one fish, two fish, zero fish people and not many limits, that was about noon before I decided to walk all the way to the falls.
    I'm heading down there in an hour though, I guess I can report tomorrow if you want.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

See this Thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=15003

I posted an update

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Report

Fished form 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. and got the limits, but it was slower. Some were skunked, some had limits, and most had something in between. Young brown bear visited about midnight. Weather was great, a little less people there.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Well I just got home from spending Mon-Today on the Russian, The run is definetly slowing down but there are still fish in the river. You might have to work for your limit but I got mine all days, people are still blocking the mouth of the river. The normal holes like Cotton wood and where the new Cotton wood broke over and fell in the river are insanely packed. People are being stupid and snagging alot in the hole next to that big broken cottonwood, so I was making a point of yelling it out everytime they hooked a fish foul so everyone knew

Good Luck!

ak4life, are you fish and game, why would you care if someone foul hooked a red, and then sent that hurt fish on his way when they could have had some dinner, and gotten off of the river and out of your way; i guess i feel that since red fishing requires skill to do it well, but isnt like real fishing anyways, what is the difference?

Went on Wed and did great. I started in the confluence. Nothing really happing there so I walked up stream picking up reds here and there. Then I found a hole with a ton of reds. All in all it was a great day. Saw two black bears..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

lanebrent - I could only speculate on why others care about snagged fish but I know for me I think it's pathetic when people keep snagged fish illegally. There are thousands of fish running up the river every year and one can't manage to hook a fish in the mouth? Stop and observe those who are successful for a few minutes and learn something. Also, such actions set a poor example for young and new fishermen.

I heard yesterday that anyone can report another to fish and game and initiate a ticket for those who break the law. From what I understand, it works something like this - if two or more people approach a person who is acting illegally and can manage to record the conversation and license number of the person acting illegally, those people can contact fish and game with such information and they will mail the perp. a ticket. I haven't verified this but even if it is true, I'm sure it's much easier said than done.

i suppose i sound like an illegal fish keeper, and im not, i havent fished for reds in a couple of years, i guess where my concern lies is in getting people off of the river; anyone who yells 'foul hook' is obviously upset at someone catching fish near them, and if 3 foul hooked fish are kept, that person is done and gone, more room on the water, seems to me that is good for everyone right?

Default Ferry or Campground

I've always parked up at the campground and fished up and down the river. Are you fishing quicker if you do the ferry or the campground? Its $8 either way correct? I heading down Sunday morning for a day trip so might have to try the ferry route

Default campground

I prefer the campground. The reason being it i can walk from pink salmon down and look at the russian. If i find fish in the clear water ill stop and fish them. If not i just make my way down to the mouth and to the kenai. I like the walk and half the time i end of finding fish in the russian and dont have to make the long walk. As far as time, if i dont see any fish in the russian it is only about a 20 minute walk to the mouth. Just my thoughts
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight