Thread: Blacktail in whittier

Default Blacktail in whittier

I'm still relatively new to Alaska. I don't have boat access or $ to fly out to Juneau.

Can anyone tell me how the hunting is in Whittier for blacktail. I don't mind hard work or hiking. Just looking for some decent population to give myself a chance.

I'm coming out of Anchorage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think that you find that on the mainland the population is pretty sparse.

If you don't have a boat you are SOL to about 99.0% I think. I have been on approximately 9 seaduck hunting trips into PWS and I have seen 1 deer. A doe. Close to town though so that leaves validity to the remaining 1% chance for success.

I couldn't say with any confidence that anyone has ever taken a deer on foot from Whittier. I've seen pictures of deer that wandered all the way to Anchorage but personally I wouldn't even bother hunting on the Whittier side of Port Wells.

Thanks for saving me the headache. What if I were to drive to Valdez? Any better out there?

No. I have lived in Valdez for 12 years and saw one picture of a deer on the duck flats. Too much snow in the winter to keep deer on the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by TBONNES View Post
    I don't mind hard work or hiking. Just looking for some decent population to give myself a chance.

If it was that easy we'd all be doin' it.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I couldn't say with any confidence that anyone has ever taken a deer on foot from Whittier. I've seen pictures of deer that wandered all the way to Anchorage but personally I wouldn't even bother hunting on the Whittier side of Port Wells.
    I have a friend who was berry picking on one of the mountains in Whittier about 10 years ago. He saw a very big for pws black tail buck about 150 yards away and couldn't hit him with his revolver..... aside from that I've never heard of deer in passage canal

Release Lake Trout

I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I couldn't say with any confidence that anyone has ever taken a deer on foot from Whittier.
    Man, that almost sounds like a fun challenge. Would be cool to pull that off. If I've got a weekend sometime in December, it might be worth taking a walk just for kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, that almost sounds like a fun challenge. Would be cool to pull that off. If I've got a weekend sometime in December, it might be worth taking a walk just for kicks...
    Hopefully you won't have to take snowshoes.....lol. But, I must say that years ago I do think I remember hearing about somebody killing one not that far from Whittier on the mainland towards Valdez....

There are deer on the mainland all around the Sound. I've see them in Main bay and at Golden. The problem is, except for some localized pockets they are so few in numbers that it's not worth the trouble to try to find one. Not impossible, just highly improbable. But if you haven't got anything else to do, it would be an interesting challenge.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hopefully you won't have to take snowshoes.....lol. But, I must say that years ago I do think I remember hearing about somebody killing one not that far from Whittier on the mainland towards Valdez....
    Would have to be pretty lucky not to need snowshoes late into winter as Whittier averages more snowfall than Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Would have to be pretty lucky not to need snowshoes late into winter as Whittier averages more snowfall than Valdez.
    Well, Dec. isn't that late into winter....imo. Plus, times are a changin'. Be interesting to see how much snow we get this year in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Be interesting to see how much snow we get this year in AK.
    Over two feet here so far this year...currently only about six inches on the ground tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Why is the population on the mainland so sparse. Is there a reason or have they just not had time to form a sustainable herd?

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    Why is the population on the mainland so sparse. Is there a reason or have they just not had time to form a sustainable herd?
    Because they starve to death in the late winter and early spring when their food sources have been dead and buried in the snow for months.

The weather out on the islands is much milder than it is on the mainland. A few years ago I went hunting on Montague in mid November. When I departed Whittier it was covered with snow and the temperature was about 10 degrees. I found that the Montague low-lands still had plenty of lush green vegetation and the temperature was well above freezing still. This year on my late October hunt it was about 50 degrees when I left Monty and returned to find that the coastal mainland was getting heavy snow. The difference is substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Over two feet here so far this year...currently only about six inches on the ground tho.
    Last week we got more snow in one night than we did the whole winter last year. About 6" at my place. But it warmed up and rained the whole next day and washed most of it away...