Thread: sat phone

Cool sat phone

Okay, i didnt want to hijack the other thread, but i wanted to help guys out. So i usually rent iridium, a little more expensive but never a problem. I tried globalstar to save money and every call i made from the brooks to unit 13 was dropped and delayed until a satellite was overhead. A royal pain in the ass. Globalstar works but drops all calls and involves waiting for satellites. I will only rent irridium in the future, mho...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Heard the same thing about Globalstar. I've even had problems with Iridium in the Alaska Range while climbing Denali. Thought that would've given us awesome reception. Has anyone tried the Iridium Go? Looks like a cool product if it works as advertised.

https://www.iridium.com/products/details/iridiumgo

I was hunting Kodiak one year and there was another group camped at the same lake. I knew both people in that group. They had a Globalstar phone and kept having problems like no connection, dropped calls when it connected. They finally used my Iridium to contact their air service.

I have had both, we use them for work quite a bit. Globalstar launched its second gen satellites in late 2013, before that the service up here was terrible. Since then however, my Globalstar has had zero problems and is as good or better compared to the Iridium. I have not gone north with it though, so I cannot speak to your problem in the Brooks. I have done lots of trips out to the western villages out of Bethel, and trips to Kodiak with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbacks View Post
    Heard the same thing about Globalstar. I've even had problems with Iridium in the Alaska Range while climbing Denali. Thought that would've given us awesome reception. Has anyone tried the Iridium Go? Looks like a cool product if it works as advertised.

https://www.iridium.com/products/details/iridiumgo
    I have added several of the Iridium GO units to my rental phones. I have had mixed feedback from users that I attribute mostly to new users expecting cell phone level of service from a sat phone device. Biggest complaints are delayed receipt of text messages and dropped calls which are normal for any sat phone device.

The smartphone app is easy to use and messaging is much easier from your smartphone then using a phone keypad. Voice calls are just as clear as a regular sat phone. The Iridium GO is not a standalone device though and does require you to have a working smartphone to use which is why I do not recommend them for most users.

Justin
    Fairbanks Sat Phone Rental
    www.fairbankssatphone.com
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Ive used the Iridiums for a few years now and 3 minutes is about average before a call drops. Somedays its all great, some days theres nothing but 'no signal'

Thats my experiance, none other to compare to, Ive only used Iridium..
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Ive used the Iridiums for a few years now and 3 minutes is about average before a call drops. Somedays its all great, some days theres nothing but 'no signal'

Thats my experiance, none other to compare to, Ive only used Iridium..
    Chip, I think that level of poor performance must be related to the location where you are. We've been using them in other areas of the state without the issues you mentioned. Once in a great while we'll get a dropped call. I've never heard this complaint from any of my hunters, and I'm placing hunters all over the state. It's got to be your location, or there is something wrong with your phone.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay