Thread: Opinions Needed on duckflat cabin

Default Opinions Needed on duckflat cabin

I'm a longtime reader but rarely post since this fantastic forum has so many really knowledgable folks on it.

Here is the situation. We live adjacent to the Susitna Flats on Pt MacKenzie. in 2016, we will be building a guest cabin for our friends who visit. What I would like to have more knowledge about is whether there are any duck hunters who might also desire to stay with us, for a fee of course, in order to have a different and hopefully more desirable hunting experience. This would help defray our cabin expenses and make it more comfortable for all. I think there are some significant obstacles to this idea (insurance, for example) and perhaps you can help me to determine whether we should explore this idea any further, or not.

Cabin: The cabin will be immediately adjacent to the flats, but not in them. (literally, 50' away) We own about 25 acres in the flats. The cabin will be small, about 12x12 outside, with a 4' covered porch facing the flats. On a clear day, you can see forever. On a good duck day, you can see the flats and that's about all. We will be able to sleep 2 and possible up to 4 if some are kids and wives who can share a bed. Family hunting is strongly encouraged. We can provide a one burner gas stove, lights, maybe a small refrigerator, maybe a gas grill, and charging for cell phones. Probably no other electricity. Outhouse only. Cold water into the cabin sink. Beds will be bunk type, with mattress or thick foam pads. Woodstove for heat. You will need to bring your own food, bedding, and ice to keep game cold.

Access: Access is by wheel plane to our 1700' airstrip. Parking available. When we fly, it costs us $400 to $500 round trip from Lake Hood Airstrip, with commercial carriers. If you have a plane, so much the better due to the above costs. There is land access if you have a tracked Argo. 4 miles. No wheeler access due to their tearing up the wetlands you have to cross to get to us. Yes, you can boat across the inlet, but tides rule everything and you will still have to walk a mile across the flats with stuff. I think this is not practical, at all, but your mileage may vary.

Game: Varies every day and every year. For the last two years we have had 50 plus cranes feeding on our property. Ducks and geese in the area, but not nesting there. Opening day in 2015 had skies in the area full of waterfoul, but some years, not so much. Hunters within 3/4 of a mile, zero, typically. You can build a blind anywhere. Water, varies with tides and rain. No ponds on our property, but a 1/4 mile walk from the cabin will get you to water in a typical year. No other hunting is available from this location.

Dogs: Welcome, but brings up a question that I need to have answered. While I know all of your hunting dogs are well trained, how do or would you deal with them inside a small cabin, without causing wet dog damage to things?

Cost for cabin is anticipated to be $100 to $150 per night depending on number of people. Length of season will vary, depending on how long we stay. We would stay longer if there was a demand. Likely not after Sept 30, due to onset of winter conditions. I would anticipate a 5PM checkin/out time. Please comment on that if you have a better idea.

All comments are highly disired, even if totally negative. We need to know if there is a market, how large, and if there are other things we could do to make a more enjoyable experience. Or if it's just a stupid idea. Yes, you can just watch the birds if you want, we do that also. Prior visits to check out the situation would be encouraged.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions you can give us. Believe me, there is no comment or criticism that would not be useful to us. I'll answer questions if you have them. I don't know if I can receive PM's or not, but you're welcome to try. email is favored method of communication. PTMAC

I think it's an interesting idea. Please post a Google Earth link or aerial pics if you have them so we can see the potential hunting area. The rental cost is reasonable but the cost of access would need to equal the quality of the hunting. Anything beyond a mile hike through a dark marsh with a load of gear drives down the enthusiasm for me unless it's epic hunting. Dogs would need to be allowed. Perhaps you could build a simple heated kennel?

I like it, see the potential and desire from many. Over hunting and pressure would be a concern. Catering to a youth hunt would really be benificial for many. I would be on board for helping with any of these ideas.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I don't see how one cabin being set up could cause any over pressure of hunting. But if more people decide to follow the lead and build more then it could be a possibility.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I was referring to that specific location. Lots of birds.. Sure it will be fine though

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I don't see how one cabin being set up could cause any over pressure of hunting. But if more people decide to follow the lead and build more then it could be a possibility.

Sent while partying
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

ptmac, great idea. google earth your location point, 4x7 bunks in the back of cabin allows 4 foot between bunks to get dressed and move around a little, install window in this space with slider for ventilation and light, four foot wide bunk a man can sleep and keep a duffle bag of gear next to him
    and out of way, 7 foot long for tall people like me 6ft 6 also thats one sheet plywood used minimal waste, make bottom bunk elevated off floor to accept standard tote to slide under it for storage or gear, if side wall of cabin is 8 foot tall and roof peak is 10 or 12 foot double bunks can be installed, we just did this at our duck camp and our shack is 12 x 12 id go 12x16 that would give you a 12 x 9 sitting drying area, again two sheets ply wood nothing wasted, 16 foot would allow for two 300 or 400 dog crates on top of each other in one corner of cabin, 400 crate even a 100lb dog could fit in there a couple of nights. wet dogs get dry real quick with a good bath towel, forget wood stove to dirty, simple non vented 3 ceramic panel wall mounted propane heater will keep that size cabin toasty, clients could bring a 20 lb pig with them or you bring in a couple of 100 lbs each season. also this could be plumbed to a simple cook stove and propane lights both are cheap and easy to install and maintain, layout your floor plan in the driveway after a snow this winter with orange spray paint, paint in bunks, table, dog crates, cook area, heater drying area, deck etc.... walk around in that area you will get a good idea of space better than drawing up a blue print i look forward to seeing your location i would rent it once a season i think others would too. also Mac, did you notice i enjoy spending your money later, steve