Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Z anchor Puller 25th Anniversary

Default E-Z anchor Puller 25th Anniversary

Just got an email from these guys today. ezanchorpuller@ezanchorpuller.comm They are giving 250.00 off any anchor puller or free shipping untill 11/30 if any one has been thinking about getting one now may be the time. Below is the info.

SAVE $250

On ALL Anchor Pullers

Push Button From Your Helm, NEVER Go Out on Your Bow!
    NEVER leave your controls to raise or lower your anchor!

Offer Expires 11/30/2015. 1 coupon allowed per customer.
    ( Use Discount Code : SAVE250 )
    Refer a Friend !
    Discount for Anchor Pullers
    & Windlasses Only

They Save $150 at Check Out
    and you Get $150 Store Credit!

(This discount is only available with orders over the phone)
    Trade In Your Old
    E-Z Anchor Puller !

Receive Up To $750 Off

(This discount is only available with orders over the phone)
    Free Shipping !

Up To $250 Value

( Use Discount Code : SHIPFREE )
    Add An Anchor Pulpit
    or Bow Roller to Your Order!

Anchor Pulpits & Bow Rollers
    Are Now 20% Off

( Use Discount Code : PULPITS20 )
    25th Anniversary Sale!
    For Pricing & To Order Online Visit
    www.ezanchorproducts.com
    © 2015 E-Z Anchor Puller Mfg. Co. All rights re
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Anybody out there who actually has this style drum winch? Just wondering how good they really do operate. I installed one on my boat but havnt used it yet.

There are a lot of Glacier Crafts out there with them. I have used mine since 2008 and had no problems with it until this season. Had to replace the motor this year. Dealing with the company was pleasant and an upgraded motor was available for a reasonable fee. The nice thing was you could just replace what was broken and not have to buy a whole new unit. Will pull up a 20-30 pound anchor in most tides in Cook Inlet and all the tides in PWS in a 27ft GC.
    MMSI#

image.jpgI would sure hope it would be able to pull anchor in a heavy tide! Maybe I don't understand what you mean. That winch has to be strong enough to pull the set anchor out of the bottom and reel it up. I would think breaking it free would be the hard part not reeling the anchor in. What do you think burned up your motor? Did you use it allot commercially or occasional recreational use. How about tangles or the line all loading up on one side of the drum when you bring it in problems. I bought mine from Mel at Frontier Fabrication in Wasilla. Did you install the 5" wide bow roller or a narrower one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    image.jpgI would sure hope it would be able to pull anchor in a heavy tide! Maybe I don't understand what you mean. That winch has to be strong enough to pull the set anchor out of the bottom and reel it up. I would think breaking it free would be the hard part not reeling the anchor in. What do you think burned up your motor? Did you use it allot commercially or occasional recreational use. How about tangles or the line all loading up on one side of the drum when you bring it in problems. I bought mine from Mel at Frontier Fabrication in Wasilla. Did you install the 5" wide bow roller or a narrower one?
    I've used a 33lb claw anchor for the last 8 years on my charter boat. It will handle pulling up even larger anchors. Have even pulled in some long line gear caught on the anchor. As long as you have a good battery and altenator output you won't have any problems. When the anchor is hung up hard don't think it will break it loose. Use the swells to break it free. Winch up when the bow drops as the next wave will usually pop it loose. If it's severely hung cleat it off and pull or run out the line and pull with a bouy to hope you can save the rode or break it free.

Predator we have changed the design of the support mount and it is now completely fabricated from aluminum. Your design is plenty strong but you shouldn't try to break the rope without cleating it off. If you want to send me your system I'll do the upgrade for free.

Mel
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Mel, if you think I should upgrade, I will do it. So you need the entire drum winch right? I noticed the plastic base was pretty soft stuff when I drilled the mounting through holes. Is it something I could just swap out? My son maybe driving up from anchorage at Thanksgiving it could work out then. Thanks for the offer Mel!

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    Mel, if you think I should upgrade, I will do it. So you need the entire drum winch right? I noticed the plastic base was pretty soft stuff when I drilled the mounting through holes. Is it something I could just swap out? My son maybe driving up from anchorage at Thanksgiving it could work out then. Thanks for the offer Mel!
    Mine has had the plastic base for 8 years and hasn't given me any problems and I've broken the rode numerous times without cleating it off but I've always cringed expecting it to give out. One of my fellow charter friends did bust his and I know of only one other that has broke. The new system will be made completely of Alu and should hold up to some major abuse.

Ok Mel you talked me into it. My winch is headed your way.

It had trouble breaking it free is what I meant to say. Especially in a running tide when really hooked well. Just pulling in the anchor posed no problems at all.
    Mine tends to bunch in the middle but I don't have much of a throw between the roller and the drum. Mine is mounted similar to the picture PC posted only it would be in front of the bump up rather then in it.
    What killed the motor-->harsh marine environment I suppose. Killed by pot puller motor (Powerwinch Capstan 300) this year too. I did charter part time during that eight years but probably used it no more then an avid recreational user.
    My bow roller is about 3.5 inches wide.
    MMSI#

Ok thanks for the info Ebbtide. I'm looking forward to testing my setup out next summer. I have 38" between the bow roller and drum so maybe my line won't bunch up as much. I will post a photo of Mel's metal base upgrade when I get it back from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post

What killed the motor-->harsh marine environment I suppose. Killed by pot puller motor (Powerwinch Capstan 300) this year too. I did charter part time during that eight years but probably used it no more then an avid recreational user.
    Loosing two different motors in the same year sounds like you may have a electrical problem, cause by weak batteries, corrosion or a poorly design 12 V system or all three. If you decide to have a shop check the your boat make sure they can do a full current load test across the motor terminals in order to confirm everything is working correctly.

Are you guys that are running the drum style winches changing the gear lube seasonally as per the maintenance recommendation? How difficult is this to do? Do you find it difficult to find your "mark" since there is no freefall mode with the drums?

I am getting too old to continue with the "armstrong" method and am looking at other options to haul 100 pounds of ground tackle.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I loved mine when I had my SeaSport. Make sure you have a bow roller (hinged) that lets the anchor fall off the bow on it's own once you start letting out line. My boat didn't have that, so when the anchor was pulled up snug into the roller, someone would have to walk out onto the bow to kick it off. That kind of defeated the benefit of being able to sit at the helm and flip the switch.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I have had mine for 9 years now and love it. No problems. I have to go up and kick it off but I did not buy the recommended bow pulpit. When the tide is ripping I always use the boat power drive forward to break the anchor loose.

Spoiled, the manufacturer told me basically if you don't see any leaks to leave it alone. The oil is not going to evaporate and they have seen way more problems with erroneous maint then old oil issues.

MacG-I think you are on to something. My batteries are 8 years old and they will be replaced by spring of 16.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
    MMSI#

Mel told me that after 4 or 5 years use he changed the oil in his and it still looked like new clear oil.

Thanks for the info, guys. How difficult is it to hit your mark since you have to power down? I anchor in 300-400' quite regularly.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

How much line are you guys running on these? Anyone using Amsteel?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Mine will hold 550' of 5/16 Sampson line with a short length of chain. The line has #4000lb break strength.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. How difficult is it to hit your mark since you have to power down? I anchor in 300-400' quite regularly.
    After a few uses you'll be able to hit your mark easier then just dropping. It doesn't take long to hit bottom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast