Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of fishing line?

Default What kind of fishing line?

I am due to buy a couple spools of fishing line.

One will be braid in the 60ish pound class. I have been using power pro 80lb for about 5 years now and it is time to respool some halibut and rockfish jigging reels.

The second spool will be for downrigger rods for silvers and kings. I usually use braid with a 25-30' topshot of 30lb flourocarbon. I don't like the knots running through the guides and it often jerks the rod and on occasion pulls the line loose from the downrigger clip when novices are using them. It'd be nice to have no knots, but I am not sold on using just mono.

Recommendations for each appreciated :-)

randy

One other thing - I would not mind having colored line for both applications. But I don't want to buy multiple spools - just a couple big spools.

I'm running FINS 65lb on my bottom rods and love it the last 2 seasons. I have been running straight 20lb mono on riggers rods since I was running with my dad since the mid 80s with no problems. This past winter I decided to try braid with a 150yd topshot of 20lb mono and it works great and it the way I'll be running for a longtime I think. I run 300yds of 50lb braid, then fill the rest of the reel with 20 or 25lb mono. Use a GT know to tie the 2 together, it's the slimmest knot there is and you won't notice it go through the guides. It's much more economical so far, just keep replacing the topshot as needed. Plenty of 40lb kings last spring with no problems.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

No topshot on my downrigger reels. Just 50# braid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very happy with Daiwa Saltiga PE-5 line, it's 70# rated for bottom fishing, knots well, strong, thin and the color coding is nice. If you shop around you can get a pretty good price on the 1800m spool. I use the PE-4 which is 55# rated for my salmon rods. I don't see much of a benefit of going with lighter line, partly because we end up with the occasional ling cod and halibut on the salmon rods.

I prefer a mono or fluro top shot, gives you a little bit of stretch where you need it most, better abrasion resistance where you need it, and a larger dia line to grab a hold of when landing fish. If you have time this winter you could make up wind on leaders and tie your braid with a bimmini twist to provide a connection that will run smooth through the guides.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I run Dendoh 70 lb from B&J on pretty much all my saltwater reels. Halibut and jigging rods. love that stuff. And they have the metered line too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Is dendoh different than saltiga? (I am googling it also)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I run Dendoh 70 lb from B&J on pretty much all my saltwater reels. Halibut and jigging rods. love that stuff. And they have the metered line too.
    I will echo this...and add that I use the same in 55# more often than not. They changed a few things in their line rating for this year and are now 50 and 65 respectively for the same model of boat braid.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The stuff Rob and I are taking about is Diawa Saltiga boat braid also known as Dendoh.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I believe Saltiga is the correct name for the line and dendoh is a reference to speed jigging.

But most seem to use the term interchangeably.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Well least you guys knew what I was talking about lol.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I told you so!!

I'm kind of an oddball and prone to doing oddball things. Different lines for different rods and uses, and we keep a lot of rods on the boat.

Hali jigging rods are 80# braid.

Mooching rods are 50# braid and no topshot. We use the same rods for flat line trolling, and they're 10' versions so no real concern about the need for a some stretch. I prefer red or yellow line on those rods so I can watch the lines and steer around floating bits of seaweed.... Hopefully.

Downrigger rods are pretty much like other folks are describing- 9' models with 50# braid and 30' topshot of 40# mono.

Heavy spinning rods for casting jigs and softbaits for kings are loaded with 30# braid with a 4' "topshot" of 30# mono.

Light spinning rods for silver casting have 14# braid with a 4' topshot of 15# mono.

Canadian mooching rods (10' with single action reels) are loaded with 25# mono.

Fly rods for king trolling (10 weights) have 40' of 30# lead core with 300 yards of 30# backing.

Extra spools for fly rod king casting have 25' T-17 heads backed with 100' of 30# mono and 300 yards of 30# backing.

Told you I was an oddball!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I keep my gear simple. 25 lb mono on my downrigger rods, 65 lb braid on the jigging rods and 80 lb braid on the stout halibut rods. It works for me.

What is the argument for all mono on a troll rod? Even deep water troll?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post

I use fast action standard salmon rods in the downriggers, so I need and like the stretch of the mono. I've tried braid with my rods and we end up pulling lots of hooks. With mono, we don't pull near as many hooks.

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post

Was just gonna ask the same question. All my salmon rods are straight mono, though i use braid, mostly power pro for all my jig/butt rods, i have never run braid on the salmon gear. I like the way it holds in the rigger cclips, dont mind the stretch. What are the benifits of braid with a topshot of mono on the salmon rods??
    A lot of our trolling is in 20-25 feet of water, or 5-x80 feet of water and 15-25 feet down. if you had a 30' top shot of mono over braid, there is not very often you would even touch the braid. Get a little nick, or have a flasher twist, a quick cut and re-tie and you are good to go.
    just curious as to the braid theory with salmon rods??

Looks like Diawa has 3 types of braid. J-braid, Saltiga, and samauri. http://www.daiwa.com/line/

Anyone use anything made in the USA? Tuf-line is made here. http://www.tuf-line.com/products_TUF-Lines_5.html

We troll a lot at 50 and 60' of water so I hit the knots almost all of the time and I don't like the little bit of kickback I get if not watching it closely. We also use our salmon rods for rockfish and sometimes down to 300'. We have caught some 40 and 50 pound halibut on our salmon rods while fishing rockfish - and for this braid is obviously the winner.

What kind of mono are you guys using.

The reason I am asking is that a neighbor friend gave me a couple rod/reel setups for king fishing. I have managed to break all of he rods but bought others. He needs to borrow them back for spring kings. He likes and prefers a mono that seems to have a lot of memory to me, which I don't like. I'll discuss what to go with with him for sure - he is knowledgable and has a lot of experience. But what I put on those two reels I will want to do with all of my other rigger rods too.

I plan to get six of the same rods for downriggin and want to set them all up with the same kind of line. It is easier to show people one way to do things than to have to give direction for different rods/lines etc.

I don't see any advantage to braid with downriggers unless you want less stretch or a heavier test main line on a smaller reel but would always use a topshot w braid if trolling or jigging.
    I use 25lb straight mono or fluorocarbon for salmon trolling with 50lb leaders.
    I use different rods for bottom fishing since downrigger rods make terrible jigging rods, for light tackle jigging I like 40lb power pro with a 50lb top shot w Shimano 5000 Stradic and a medium light Shimano Trevala.
    A lot more fun fishing light tackle imo.
    Redleader standing by

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast