Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip waders vs Chest waders?

Default Hip waders vs Chest waders?

I am curious to hear your guys recomendations on waders for a moose hunt that me and some firends are doing out of Bethol Alaska. Its a drop hunt and hip waders are on the gear list for the drop hunt. After seeing some posts on here it sounds like most guys use chest waders for any moose hunt. Any thoughts or recomendations of brands would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My chest waders are much lighter and take up less space than my hip waders.
    So I'd bring chesties

Ive only been on one float trip so far, so my depth of knowledge isn't very deep. But I lived in my waders for the 12 days. In the mornings when you walk up to glass I had waders/wader boots on and HH rain jacket. The berries/ alders/willows were soaking wet. My leather boots quickly soaked through and were saturated(Danner's). I used the "breathable" waders with Under Armor wader long underwear. Getting in and out of the boat, rain, splashing from paddling all lead me to believe that waders were a better option. My brother wore the same thing after his Kenetreks soaked through. Our hunt was lake/river based, so take it for what its worth.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

It was a very wet hunt this year, and I was in my chest waders all but one day. By the end of that day i wished I had been wearing them. Hip waders offer nothing over chest waders except a bit of convenience in the morning when you're getting dressed to hunt. In every other category breathable chest waders win, in my opinion. Just be sure to have a decent pair of wading boots, something that offers actual support and not just traction.

Edit to add: I use chest waders I got at Fred Meyer, they're nothing fancy. But they hold up fine and keep the water out. I use them because that's what I have. If I were buying new I'd try to get a sense if there are any waders that don't give that nylon zip sound when moving against brush. A silent chest wader fabric would be killer. And do spend on the footwear. My old cheap wading boots fell apart this season. I'll be buying up for the replacement pair, with more thought to how they perform when hiking rather than when standing in the Kenai.

When it comes to footwear you can also go cheap and light. My niece was on the hunt trip this year and she just wears an oversized pair of running shoes. You just want to be sure they're well secured so that they don't come off when you step into a mudhole 15" deep.

Chest waders are: easier to walk in; keep your butt dry; replace rain pants; lighter than hip boots; they can be turned completely inside out to shorten drying time. DO NOT wear them with felt soles on the wader boots. You'll slip & slide on any wet leaf covered ground. Short spikes will give you very good traction on most anything, but will make a clicking noise if walking on stones. They're also not recommended if you'll be using a raft. Carry enough duct tape to make emergency repairs.

Good point about the felt soles. There are in fact now banned for hunting and fishing in Alaska.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ive.prevention

What is the issue of wearing a pair of normal hunting/hikingboot with wader instead of wader boots? I figure it is a weight issue or drying issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mich1tex View Post
    What is the issue of wearing a pair of normal hunting/hikingboot with wader instead of wader boots? I figure it is a weight issue or drying issue.
    The neoprene is thicker than your socks. Most likely your boots would be too tight. Wader boots have drains built in to let the water out, and are synthetic and arguably cheaper than expensive leather boots.
    Palmer

I wish I could find chesties that are long enough, I'm 6'7" and can't find any. I keep using my Cabela hip waders, which have been great, just wish I had the chest version. I've got some custom SeaTux neoprene waders for fly fishing, but it have to sue the Danner wading boots, which aren't very useful for hunting applications.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Well I must be the lone man out, but there would be no way in hell that I would spend a whole moose hunt in chest waders.....no way, no how. I don't care how well they "breathed". In fact, the only way I wore my hip waders for any length of time is if I absolutely had to....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I wish I could find chesties that are long enough, I'm 6'7" and can't find any. I keep using my Cabela hip waders, which have been great, just wish I had the chest version. I've got some custom SeaTux neoprene waders for fly fishing, but it have to sue the Danner wading boots, which aren't very useful for hunting applications.
    Have you looked at Simms tall waders?
    Also another option would be wading pants.

To deal with the loudness of breathable waders, try wearing lightweight fleece over them. It adds weight when soaked, but eliminates the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well I must be the lone man out, but there would be no way in hell that I would spend a whole moose hunt in chest waders.....no way, no how. I don't care how well they "breathed". In fact, the only way I wore my hip waders for any length of time is if I absolutely had to....
    At least two of us on this side of the issue. Logically, there's some facets of the chesties that make sense, but for me, one of the best feeling times of a moose hunt has been at the end of the day when one rolls down their hip boots....I can't imagine spending days on end in chest waders. Would rather get some lightweight wool pants and xtratufs and just be wet.

I use neos river trekers. While chest waders may have advantages while you are in the rain or in the water I am one who absolutely hates to wear waders (any kind of wader), and when I do I often end up sweating inside of them and getting wet anyway. While some time is wasted taking the overshoes of and on throughout the trip, it is worth it to me to be able to spend the majority of the time without my waders on.

Actually these "breathe" better than my hip boots. You don't get that "terrarium" feel with them. If I got warm, you can roll them down and cinch them with the web belt that is provided with the waders.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...6041/cat126995

Worn with these boots

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...5209/cat101547
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    At least two of us on this side of the issue. Logically, there's some facets of the chesties that make sense, but for me, one of the best feeling times of a moose hunt has been at the end of the day when one rolls down their hip boots....I can't imagine spending days on end in chest waders. Would rather get some lightweight wool pants and xtratufs and just be wet.
    If peeling off your hippers is one of the highlights of your hunt, you need to look for alternative foot wear.

If I was forced to wear hip boots to hung, I would stop hunting. Before the day that I could buy lightweight breathable chest waders I simply just jumped in the water with high top basketball shoes on. A good pair of poly pro socks and long johns kept me warm enough and I just walked the water out. To this day I don't know how you guys wear hip boots.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I prefer to strip and cross. Its always wet here so I don't even have rain gear. Like clean rain over sweat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If I was forced to wear hip boots to hunt, I would stop hunting.
    Ditto. I can't imagine hunting in waders. That would suck.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm a big fan of the yet unmentioned alternative, wading pants or guide pants. All the advantages of chest waders without the additional bulk, straps and buckles on your shoulders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast