Thread: Small bulls with weird brows

Default Small bulls with weird brows

I thought a couple of these might generate some discussion. The reality is their are a lot of these out there and for a guy like me willing to shoot a small one they all have to be looked at closely.
    IMG_0667a.jpgPA240043.jpg

Default One more that made the table

Bull harvested in 4 brow tine area.
    DSCF2210.jpg

Neat pics on the live bulls. In the pic with the 2 bulls, I don't think either would qualify in even a 3 tine unit, but the pic doesn't show enough to be definitive. The 2nd pic looks like it would qualify in a 3 tine unit. Last pic, no doubt, but as you said, slightly weird.

Seems to me like for every 'normal' rack, there is a weird one. I have seen some very strange ones over the years.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

While it is nice to see pictures like these, these are the animals that get hunters in 'trouble'!
    Thanks for sharing!

Moose number 2 has 3 brow tines on his left, as the drop tine is on his brow palm. Moose number one, with the split beam, would not qualify as 3 brow tines, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    I thought a couple of these might generate some discussion. The reality is their are a lot of these out there and for a guy like me willing to shoot a small one they all have to be looked at closely.
    First picture neither are legal bulls. The left antler on the bull on the left is just two brow tine. The one point that appears to make it a three is actually attached the beam not the brow palm. The second picture the right antler looks to have a 3 point brow palm......but.....Would have to glass this one over hard and even take a few pictures to get a good look. Not an instant shooter any any means. He isn't going anywhere fast. Probably be around for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    First picture neither are legal bulls. The left antler on the bull on the left is just two brow tine. The one point that appears to make it a three is actually attached the beam not the brow palm. The second picture the right antler looks to have a 3 point brow palm......but.....Would have to glass this one over hard and even take a few pictures to get a good look. Not an instant shooter any any means. He isn't going anywhere fast. Probably be around for a couple of days.
    Instant Shooter. Yup, that's what happens all too often. "OH Crap, not legal." The ass hauling begins. That is why we (legal hunters) must pay attention and take notes/pics, write down license numbers.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    While it is nice to see pictures like these, these are the animals that get hunters in 'trouble'!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sure - blame it on the moose.

This bull has a distinct wide bay separating the main palm and I believe is a four brow tine moose. I have other pictures of the laying bull and he is a three brow tine moose. The harvested moose was originally cited and confiscated but returned shortly there after.

Bull harvested in 4 brow tine area.
    DSCF2210.jpg
    Do you have any more photos of this one? Ideally from the top down, or some other angle that shows the bay separating the brow palm? The four points are easy enough to distinguish, I'm just curious to see it from other angles.

This bull has a distinct wide bay separating the main palm and I believe is a four brow tine moose. I have other pictures of the laying bull and he is a three brow tine moose. The harvested moose was originally cited and confiscated but returned shortly there after.
    I would have a hard time (with this view at least) to get to 4 brow tines. I could see 2 for sure. There could be a 3rd, but not sure from this angle where that 3rd point is originating from since it is obscured behind the first two. I see the distinct wide bay you are referring to, but not sure if that is the bay they would count as separating the brow palm from the main palm. If you look at the diagram in the regs, it shows a tine emerging between the two and says that it would not count as a tine. That may play into this one, but again, hard to tell for sure from the angle. You could very well be correct.

Default More angles

Harvested bull. The top down view is tough to get in the field on a live bull.

Sparring small bull

Great pictures trapperbob!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Great pictures trapperbob!!!
    Love those pictures.

Here's my weird bull from this year.