Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi Day ATV Tour

Default Multi Day ATV Tour

Hi

I am from Switzerland and we are currently planning a trip to Alaska next August. We are outdoor One thing we really like to do is a ATV tour of more than one day duration. We are currently looking for places and trails. We found places like Caribou Hills, Eureka Trails and Hatcher Pass. Are those places recommendable? Are those places crowed?

I don’t know if this is possible but what would be nice is a scenic trail/route that takes more than one day by itself. Is there such a trail? Do you have suggestions? All the places above look more like a trail system where you could easily drive back each evening and you don’t really have to camp. Is there may be a nice cabin which you can reach by atv?

We have some ATV experience and a lot of outdoor backpacking/trekking experience.

I am open for any help and suggestions
    Thanks
    Björn

Contact Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge on this forum. I think you will be happy with his accommodations
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Hatcher Pass doesn't have that much and Caribou Hills is fine if you don't mind driving through a subdivision.

The Denali Hwy and Eureka area both have longer and more remote trails. Look up the Chickaloon- Nelchina trail system for one example.

Be aware that online trail descriptions aren't always accurate regarding trail length. They will often describe a trail and provide a specific length; however, they will fail to say that the trail connects to other trails. Where I've been Caribou hunting off the Denali Hwy the last few years is like that; one trail connects to another, then another, then another. There are many trails in Alaska that are not documented in print or on line.

I recommend you go with a guide that knows the trail systems and can match the tour with your group's desires and abilities. The trails here range from extremely easy to extremely difficult. Bottomless mud holes, steep grades, and treacherous river crossings will all ruin your trip if you let them. Also, if you're not familiar with the area there is also the potential to get turned around and lost back there.

Here are a few outfits you might want to call:

http://www.alaskaatvadventures.com/custom_tours.html

http://atv-alaska.com/ATV-guiding.htm

http://www.alaska.org/detail/Alaska-...dventure-Tours

I second this recommendation. The folks at Alpine Creek Lodge are all very good with visitors and knowledgeable with the back woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Contact Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge on this forum. I think you will be happy with his accommodations

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Absolutely! Claude can provide a great trip!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Most trails around Alaska are not a loop configuration, more of simply out and back. Chicken ridge trail would be a good one. It offers a variety of scenery and you can cover a lot of different types of terrain. There are a lot of side trails to explore as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for all the answers. I will check those places. The thing is we had guided tours and we would like to go on our own this time.

Is there maybe a nice litle cabin somewere that is accessible by a ATV trail?

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks. I have seen that to many of them and it does not say a lot about the trails to it....any recommendations. A remote one with a nice long trail to it would be nice. The trail should not be to easy like a road...

Any of the trails along the Glenn hwy should work for what you are looking for. It's a little difficult telling you exactly what trail and where to go unless you are somewhat familiar with the area.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I would also advise that in August, when you plan on coming, most trails will be heavily used for hunting activities. That doesn't really mean a good or bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Let's be honest, Ryan's on to something; that's NOT a good thing for a guy looking to enjoy riding/camping. MUCH better to ride pre-hunting season. Depending on where you go, you'll have the place to yourself. Hunting season? Forget it. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. You can't and won't escape them. Worse time to pleasure ride and check the place out, for real. You'll literally have hundreds of people on every trail around here, with minimal chance at real separation.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    You'll literally have hundreds of people on every trail around here, with minimal chance at real separation.
    Ok, that is not really what I'am was expecting from Alaska....

Well........that is "Exactly what all of the (Hundreds of THOUSANDS) of hunters who moved to Alaska now say.........

Quote Originally Posted by SwissGuy View Post
    Ok, that is not really what I'am was expecting from Alaska....

Ride trails in the non-motorized hunting areas off the Denali.

The good thing about that time of year is you won't have a problem finding the trail heads
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwissGuy View Post
    Hi

I am from Switzerland and we are currently planning a trip to Alaska next August. We are outdoor One thing we really like to do is a ATV tour of more than one day duration. We are currently looking for places and trails. We found places like Caribou Hills, Eureka Trails and Hatcher Pass. Are those places recommendable? Are those places crowed?

I don’t know if this is possible but what would be nice is a scenic trail/route that takes more than one day by itself. Is there such a trail? Do you have suggestions? All the places above look more like a trail system where you could easily drive back each evening and you don’t really have to camp. Is there may be a nice cabin which you can reach by atv?

We have some ATV experience and a lot of outdoor backpacking/trekking experience.

I am open for any help and suggestions
    Thanks
    Björn
    Hi Björn,

I recommend you avoid the highly populated Anchorage / Mat-Su /South Central Alaska area, and explore the interior of Alaska. North-East of Fairbanks you will find the White Mountains National Recreation Area, which has an extensive trail system and basic rustic shelter cabins suitable for a multi day adventure. The area is quite remote and beautiful, and may offer exactly the type of experience you're seeking.

Map: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...teMtnsMap1.pdf

General information / Contact information: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/white_mtns.html

Regards,
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Exclamation Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Hi Björn,

I recommend you avoid the highly populated Anchorage / Mat-Su /South Central Alaska area, and explore the interior of Alaska. North-East of Fairbanks you will find the White Mountains National Recreation Area, which has an extensive trail system and basic rustic shelter cabins suitable for a multi day adventure. The area is quite remote and beautiful, and may offer exactly the type of experience you're seeking.

Map: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...teMtnsMap1.pdf

General information / Contact information: http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/white_mtns.html

Regards,
    Caveat: Many, if not most American hunters are loath to walk very far, and are fond of ATV travel. Thus during hunting season you will encounter more people along any ATV accessible trail system than during any other time of year. Even in the White Mountains you will need to ensure you have made cabin reservations as far in advance as possible, as you will be competing with hunters for those calendar dates.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Caveat: Many, if not most American hunters are loath to walk very far, and are fond of ATV travel. Thus during hunting season you will encounter more people along any ATV accessible trail system than during any other time of year. Even in the White Mountains you will need to ensure you have made cabin reservations as far in advance as possible, as you will be competing with hunters for those calendar dates.

Looks like a good place thanks for the tip! Question: The map says, that all the not blue marked lands are not open to motorized use. Does that include the trails in the other sections or only the lands. Not much atv trails left when they have to be entirely in the blue section....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast