Thread: Converting Browning Model 71 to 450 Alaskan

Default Converting Browning Model 71 to 450 Alaskan

Are there any good smith's in Alaska doing conversions on Browning Model 71's to 450 Alaskan? Would like to find someone "local" if possible.

Well I am not local anymore but still a lever nut and I still have the 450 Alaskan reamer.

Gunbugs in Fairbanks may or may not be willing, not sure how deep he gets into the old levers.

Wild West used to but things there seem very odd as of the last year or so now and I don't know who is working there to say if they are good or not any more.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I know the Browning is a nice gun, but why not just go with a Marlin in .45-70 or .450 Marlin? I like that old .348 round, although it took 7 shots on my 9.5 Brownie years ago. My Winchester holds 5. It was 25 paces. Yup, adrenaline.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I know the Browning is a nice gun, but why not just go with a Marlin in .45-70 or .450 Marlin?
    I have both an original 71 done over to 450 Alaskan by Johnson a long time ago, as well as the Marlin 45-70. Ain't now way under the sun to get the Marlin up to 450 Alaskan ballistics.

Basically you really have to push the 45-70 to achieve velocities with the 300-350 grain bullets that are easily achievable with 400 grain bullets in the 450 Alaskan, which comes very close to the 458 WinMag. The heavier weight of the 71 is really welcome too.