Thread: Rzr 900 Front Diff Swap w/ 1000 Diff

Default Rzr 900 Front Diff Swap w/ 1000 Diff

My Rzr 900 front diff didn't survive the trail this hunting season and was a total loss. My choice was to buy a replacement for $1400 or upgrade to the Rzr 1000 front diff for the same price. The 1000 Diff is reported to be 80% stronger but unfortunately it's much bigger and requires extensive cutting and welding make it work. I used the Gilbert's Design modification kit made of 3/16 steel to make the job much easier and it's now much stronger then stock. It takes about a 10 hours to complete the job but hopefully it won't break again. If your differential craps out on you or you plan to install very aggressive tires you might want to consider the same swap.

North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

What caused it to break? Do you have a locker up front?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    What caused it to break? Do you have a locker up front?
    Not sure what caused it to break other then super aggressive tires and too weak to handle the added stress. Broke a rear axle on the rig during the trip so it's possible the extra strain on the front diff did it in as well trying to get down the trail. As far as I know it was a stock 900 RZR front diff with the billet aluminum sprague gear. The front diff is always locked when engaged.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Have lived in Fairbanks, Anderson, Valdez and now Anchorage.

We've seen a several side by sides out on the Rex with broken axles and others problems. The lift kits and larger tires are great until things break. It looks like they designed them more for desert conditions rather than all of the deep mud and large loads we have up here. Some have taken to bringing more axles and other parts with them and leaving them in there trucks out at the road as back-ups. Of course, they have to break down in those great big and deep mud holes. Usually if they have a couple of other rigs with them, they can get yanked out to dryer ground to be repaired. If not, they sit there until more people come along.

Bill