Thread: Removing the smell from a beetled caribou

14 miles N. of N. Pole

Default Removing the smell from a beetled caribou

I'm working on a caribou skull for myself. Already had it beetled and it came out nice. I'm on to de-greasing via hot water and Dawn and that has worked well but there is still a definite odor that I can't get rid of. Not a rotten flesh smell more like the smell of the beetle shop. No way the Mrs. is gonna let it in the house until I can de-scent it......

It seems to me that the odor is more on the antlers than the skull. I have scrubbed the antlers with some Dawn and hot water a few times but that hasn't had much effect. De-greasing the skull helped a tremendous amount but if I can still smell it, the Mrs. will for sure. (Her nose rivals some tracking dogs I think......)

Ant tips/tricks to get the odor off the antlers?
    Caribou 2015.jpg

Mineral spirits work to best, white gas, gasoline all will work for both degreasing and removing odor. Allow to dry completely in warm well vented place before bringing inside.

Kenai Peninsula, Ak.

The wife works with bones, antlers, horns etc a fair amount. She says get hold of some 40 percent peroxide from a beauty supply house or a taxi for the skull. Try scrubbing the antlers with vinegar.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Let the antlers completely dry first! Don't go putting goofy stuff all over them especially peroxide! I have many beetle cleaned antlers, Its the moisture that has the odor. You peroxide skulls not antlers, the antlers will turn nice and white. Try light soap and water, don't a rub and let dry and see if it gets better.