Thread: Davit/pot puller configurations?

Default Davit/pot puller configurations?

Has anyone mounted their pot puller on the roof of the boat to keep it out of the way on the deck? Looking for idea for the new build and would like it to be out of the way.

Seen a customer of Potbuilders had a retractable one that extends out the port side from the roof.
    Do a search on here, it was not too long ago on a thread regarding davits and electradyne installs, bayliner boat I believe.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446502053.597625.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446502084.082159.jpg not greatest pics
    I designed this one, had akmud weld it up for me. I just snap a block out there when I need to use, slides out so its over side of gunwale, slides back in out of way when not needed & nothing to crack your head on or flop around

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446502536.009352.jpg
    Hopefully little better See if I can find more off my old phone

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Has anyone mounted their pot puller on the roof of the boat to keep it out of the way on the deck? Looking for idea for the new build and would like it to be out of the way.
    I use my dingy crane to hang my pot puller from. Works great. If your build is planning on having a dingy to take to shore might consider a crane that can double as your pot puller davit and is out of the way when not in use.

http://vid697.photobucket.com/albums.../GD2GO/004.mp4

What do you do with the puller then, when it is not on the crane? On TV, you probably have plenty of storage space.

Another question on the davit/crane. Do you pump a hydraulic jack to lift it or ? I am going to build mine in the next couple months and looking for advice.

Here's a setup that Potbuilder emailed to me, and that AK Mud welded up and installed - this is what I hope to copy, I just need to figure out the bushings and how to lift the crane.

Bull, check your in box.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What do you do with the puller then, when it is not on the crane? On TV, you probably have plenty of storage space.

Another question on the davit/crane. Do you pump a hydraulic jack to lift it or ? I am going to build mine in the next couple months and looking for advice.

Here's a setup that Potbuilder emailed to me, and that AK Mud welded up and installed - this is what I hope to copy, I just need to figure out the bushings and how to lift the crane.

The pot puller is stored in the freeman hatch area, which is huge. I've heard some people call it a lazarett? My lazarette can hold the pot puller, Magnum BBQ, pot bouy, 4 boat fenders, 4 camp chairs, shrimp bait bucket, shrimp pot anchor, shrimp pot line on the garden hose spool as seen in the video. I understand that not every boat has that kind of space but thought the OP was looking to get rid of the davit from the side of the boat. Makes sense that the OP was actually asking for a system that kept the davit and puller in a useful place but out of the way of the gunnel and deck.

The crane is a Brower Davit Systems ECO 600 series with hydraulic lift and hydraulic winch operations controled by a wireless remote. I also understand that this type of crane is not an option for everyone ($10K installed) however, I have seen other dingy cranes on boats that were built locally for far cheaper and could act as a pot puller davit if you had a place to store the puller when not in use.

Looking at the pics you sent, that is a good set-up. The crane probably has what's called a hydraulic assist. So, the crane is pinned in place. Once the pin is released the crane lifts hydraulically assisted and the operator chooses the height of the crane by stopping the lift ascent and putting a pin. Most I've seen have like 3 choices of height. Mine crane is still a manual rotation crane (power rotation was another $5K) so it sits on some delrin bushings or something like that and I push it to turn it outboard and inboard.

Not my thread, but your Lazarett is bigger than my whole boat I think! Maybe the OP has a very large boat also.

I could use a truck topper gas strut shock and pin it just like you say. Thanks!

Spoiled - saw your PM and responded.

My total boat fit out budget is $10K - $15K depending on what electronics I go with. No way I can justify $10K for the "crane/davit". I did go with the electrodyne though. Trying to do the accessories right the first time. So far I'm doing pretty good with it, but there is still much room for error!

Not my thread, but your Lazarett is bigger than my whole boat I think! Maybe the OP has a very large boat also.

I could use a truck topper gas strut shock and pin it just like you say. Thanks!

Spoiled - saw your PM and responded.
    I don't think you would be happy with a truck topper strut. The one I used on the one pictured was all stainless steel and had 150# pressure rating.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I agree, and figured Bullelklr was just stating the type of hydraulic assist he could use. I bet it's a balance between finding something that will work in a salt environment, will lift the crane up, maybe even with the dingy/tender attached, but no too stiff that you can't press the crane back down into closed position.

I bought a 150 pound stainless steel lift. It is 16 inches at shortest and has a 10 inch throw. I am currently trying to figure out how to design the side bracing. I don't know if AKMud is just pinning it in 2 or 3 different positions or if his is connected to the arm with two pieces of bar and it kind of swivels. I t hink I am going to pin it....