Thread: Cook Inlet - Tube Flies

Default Cook Inlet - Tube Flies

I received this message from Tim S. who was fishing out of Homer. Using my Salmon Series Tube Fly, color: Purple Haze.

"That would be my neighbor Jerry H. in the photo. 80' of water, 37' down, 1.5 - 2.0 knots, (we have up to 12 knots current & 24' of tide change in Cook Inlet)
    11" green glow, Pro Troll Flasher, 36"-60" of 40 to 60# leader with a #5/0 hook & #4/0 stinger. We caught 1 12" king smolt on a 6" herring, 5 other Kings to 15# on this fly. We only killed the one.
    "When that fly hits the turquoise water & a little sun lite, it turns Iridescent Purple."

Weather / Wind permitting I will be out again tomorrow or Sunday.

Have a good one.
    Tim"

Denis (aka: dragginflies)
    http://www.trollingflies.com/salmonseries/

Tim Sturm I.jpeTim Sturm II.jpe

This is The One right here

Charterboat Operator

Talking

IMG_2144[1].jpgThese Artic Fox Flies are pretty much our go to aboard the Huntress as far as the artificial side of our operation, along with some various others that friends,clients,ect have tied for us to demo, seems like the black and silver or black and white UV stuff will shine at all depths, I do see there green fox flies start helping me more when I have a low ceiling or over cast,fog... That being said we pull 90% bait and don't mess with fly box as much as I should

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    IMG_2144[1].jpgThat being said we pull 90% bait and don't mess with fly box as much as I should
    The day we fished with you back in October, I think that ratty looking fly caught six of the ten kings. I was amazed at how well the fly fished compared to the herring and spoon on the other two rods!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The day we fished with you back in October, I think that ratty looking fly caught six of the ten kings. I was amazed at how well the fly fished compared to the herring and spoon on the other two rods!
    I know right! Almost seemed like the more thrashed it got that day the better it was fishing! We took that one out of commission before it was lost, not sure of the number of kings it put to the net but it was a lot, it hangs with a few other good luck charms from the dash on the boat now

Captain Nemo,
    Thanks for the feed back on my flies. I am tying prototypes for next season. I will be coming out with a traditional style tandem bucktailing fly. Do you have any suggestions for color combinations I might try?
    Denis (aka dragginflies)

Any color works great as long as it is black and white
    Take a look at the Wally Whale fly with the white beads and work black and white. You can mix in purple or green. Good luck hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragginflies View Post
    Captain Nemo,
    Thanks for the feed back on my flies. I am tying prototypes for next season. I will be coming out with a traditional style tandem bucktailing fly. Do you have any suggestions for color combinations I might try?
    Denis (aka dragginflies)

Captain Nemo, I sent you a private message.
    dragginflies