Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Thread: Winter in Homer

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I'm going out with Josh in a few days. Can hardly wait.
    Maybe you mentioned it on another thread, but I haven't seen how you did?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, I'd like it too. Planning on leaving the boat down there after deer season is over so we can fish kings all winter.
    Good luck with them deer! I want to get mine to Homer this weekend before too much snow. I usually just leave it in the water but thatís going to have to wait till mid January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Does anyone have the number for the boat storage on the spit?

Homer Spit Marine Terminal

3232 Homer Spit Rd, Homer, AK 99603
    (907) 226-3180 or (907) 399-3180

Hope this works for you

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, I'd like it too. Planning on leaving the boat down there after deer season is over so we can fish kings all winter.

Hope this works for you

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post

Hope this works for you

Thank you

Fish on!!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Maybe you mentioned it on another thread, but I haven't seen how you did?
    Limited the boat out in 2 hours. Spent time in Homer, then went home and grilled up some of the best salmon a man ever ate.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Snuck out through a break in the weather. We were able to put one on the deck! We should have put on a few more. Canít complain after getting to spend the day on the water with good buddies.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Snuck out through a break in the weather. We were able to put one on the deck! We should have put on a few more. Canít complain after getting to spend the day on the water with good buddies.

If you didn't eat it tonight, eat it tomorrow. I have a couple filets left. When they're gone, I'm going again.

Default Little Ones

Was curious if you all in Homer are getting a lot of small kings right now, 6-10 pounds. In eastern PWS there seems to be an influx of them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CDV_Honkers View Post
    Was curious if you all in Homer are getting a lot of small kings right now, 6-10 pounds. In eastern PWS there seems to be an influx of them right now.
    The West side of PWS has had a ton of mini kings all summer. They were a real problem as bycatch. They would hit the gear but it was hard to tell they were on unless you saw the little strike. You would drag them around and not realize there was a fish on. I felt bad whenever one was hooked deep or drug around for a while. I really donít like killing baby kings. I figured they were the hatchery kings they have stayed in the area. If they stick around there will be great fishing next year or so when they are bigger. This winter in Homer I have only caught a couple fish under 10#. This winter Iíve been really happy with the size of the fish Iíve caught.

Roger, thanks for the reply. We had big fish Oct through Nov but now the little guys have come in. Enjoy Homer this winter!

Harbor has me frozen in my slip. Perhaps if the boat was facing bow out I could get out. Iím tied up bow in and I donít want to try to back out against my outboard. Some other slips look a little better and the ice is broken open in the middle of the harbor. Checked on the boat and headed back home.

Supporting Member

A friend went out just a couple days ago in his brand new boat. They nailed some nice ones. Sure looked like a cold trip though.

Bkbaker

Years ago, I signed up for a Homer winter king charter. To my disbelief, the morning we were scheduled to go, the harbor was frozen solid. Thinking this was not going to happen, we still waited until the captain showed up to give the final word. After a quick conversation and him dropping a knowing smile, we were headed down into the harbor and climbing on board. Still not sure what was going to happen, the Captain turned on the engines, tied the boat off even tighter in his slip, he bumped the boat into reverse and just waited. Sure enough, within just a couple of minutes, the ice surrounding us began to fragment and break away. He did this until enough of the ice was broken and then like nothing out of the ordinary, untied and motored over to the middle of the harbor where there was an open channel. We ended up having a great day on the water.

Not saying this would work with you as his boat had inboards, but i would hate to not mention it and have you miss out on some days fishing.

- Gambler

This image was a few years ago. I could walk all around the boat this trip and still broke out. My SeaSport is a mighty ice breaker for sure. Iím just stuck in with my stern facing out. I donít want to use my outboard as the ice splitter. Iím trying to upload a video of breaking out of the harbor now. Iím sure I could have chopped my way out but I was without a wingman this trip and didnít want to get that medieval while I was all alone.

I was hoping to put my boat in the water on the 16th for the next few months. Might have to hold off for a bit. Good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    I was hoping to put my boat in the water on the 16th for the next few months. Might have to hold off for a bit. Good luck out there.

Yep. I took mine down last weekend and fished. I left it in the storage yard there in the Spit and resented a cabin for this weekend with the wife. Looks like itís gonna be a non fishing weekend in Homer for us this weekend now.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Going into Manley Slough on the Tanana awhile back I ran into ice that covered the slough. I had a 12ga and a box of shells. So I'd shoot the ice in front of the boat then go until the ice stopped me, shoot and go until I reached the hot springs heated water. It was interesting since I had a boat load of dogs that didn't think much of the shooting. It was an open john boat, don't think I have ever been that cold as coming up river with the wind and ice flowing down the Tanana. Something like this might get you out of a frozen marina. I swore my next boat was going to be a pleasure boat, cabin and heat.

Who is headed out crabbing/fishing this weekend? My son and I are planning on dropping the crab pots Friday around 1200, then trolling. Talked to the harbor master today, sounds like the conditions are good. Yes, tides and wind direction could change it quick.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast