Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter in Homer

Default Winter in Homer

Third weekend with the boat in the harbor. I'm so hooked on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice!! just a small one for us this weekend but the sunrise was amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    nice!! just a small one for us this weekend but the sunrise was amazing!

looked like an armada of yaks on sunday!!!
    saw you headed back down this morning??

nice harbor pic

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    looked like an armada of yaks on sunday!!!
    saw you headed back down this morning??

nice harbor pic
    Sunday was a bummer. Water was murky everywhere and downright dirty in the spots I like to fish. The entire armada had the same results. Solid takedowns, bigger fish tugging, but only fish that were bigger than what i could call typical shakers but still only about 4 or 5 pounds were landed. Very odd in-between size fish.

So its was a bummer in a way, but if someone told me I could pull out a 3 pound fish that ate as well as these kings ice fishing, I' like be staring down a hole over a couple feet of ice freezing my butt off trying to catch it!!! So being able to do it on open water off a kayak is a bonus!

Catching kings and seeing whales is so run of the mill this season it's like saying "I took the boat out". Phenomenal fall/winter on the bay!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Catching kings and seeing whales is so run of the mill this season it's like saying "I took the boat out". Phenomenal fall/winter on the bay!
    Well the great run seems to be over by the spit. Still fish to be had. It was AWESOME in October.

I have a question for the veterans here. One unusual aspect of this year is that int he past 4 years or so I have been hitting this fishery, it has always been sandlances inside the fish this time of year. Well the first time I had seen sandlances was last Sunday so I thought something might be changing. But this weeks fish had nothing but what i think are small herring. Has anyone noticed a signficant change in the feed the fish are targeting this year versus year prior or is it just near the spit where I fish?

Kardinal 84,

Was on a bait ball 2 weeks ago that was all the way to the surface and it was small herring like you have in the picture. most kings had both tiny herring and sand lances in them full up. Some of the herrings were still alive a wiggling when we caught the kings.

Amazing!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Last fish of the day Sunday was marbled white blush.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Well the great run seems to be over by the spit. Still fish to be had. It was AWESOME in October.

I have a question for the veterans here. One unusual aspect of this year is that int he past 4 years or so I have been hitting this fishery, it has always been sandlances inside the fish this time of year. Well the first time I had seen sandlances was last Sunday so I thought something might be changing. But this weeks fish had nothing but what i think are small herring. Has anyone noticed a signficant change in the feed the fish are targeting this year versus year prior or is it just near the spit where I fish?

This article has good discussion on unusual appearance juvenile herring in KBay.

http://homertribune.com/2015/11/whal...ecord-numbers/

Gearing up for another shot this weekend. How cold is too cold to fish K-Bay? Light winds and temps in the 20's still sounds ok to me!!

Charterboat Operator

When ya gotta start pounding ice off the windows and down riggers, its time for most to call it quits

You got a heated cabin? That makes a 10 difference.!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Heat in the cabin, but not gonna go into any freezing spray that's for sure.

Charterboat Operator

IMG_2881[1].jpgFreezing spray warning this AM was terrible! you should all definitely haul your boats out for the winter F/V Huntress 11-13-15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    When ya gotta start pounding ice off the windows and down riggers, its time for most to call it quits
    WHAAA??? Is this the REAL Pole Bender?!?!?! LOL. Contemplating heading down but kids have birthday parties... Probably best they get some social interaction so they don't end up one dimensional like me. Haha.

My craft is ice tested...two years ago. Though you could tell that stability was starting to slip just a little bit. this is only about 15 to 30 minutes of accumulation at 10 degrees or so since I was knocking the ice off as I was fishing.

Charterboat Operator

Rudy, you dont count..... we all know YOU are just plain crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nemo View Post
    IMG_2881[1].jpgFreezing spray warning this AM was terrible! you should all definitely haul your boats out for the winter F/V Huntress 11-13-15

[/QUOTE]

Nemo! I'm gonna just follow you out some morning. It will be with the utmost respect. But I'm gonna do it

My deckhand had to pick up a custom 50 cal. handgun before we got out Saturday. Too late to follow the Huntress. Found out that on getting on step with Saturday's winds and cold temps meant my downriggers and decks were pretty iced up and slushy. Glad I went out to learn all that I did and took home our limits to boot. Even made it home in time to play some poker.

nice!! looks a tad chilly for sure. it's amazing to me that in the dead of winter you can catch these in Alaska. Way to get it done!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast