Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast road system deer hunt in late November?

Default Southeast road system deer hunt in late November?

I'm considering a short hunt over the four day Thanksgiving break, and got to thinking about deer in Southeast.

A couple years back I visited a forum member in Sitka for a short three-day deer hunt. Unfortunately, it became a one-day hunt after I got stranded in Juneau for two days due to a cancelled flight. I hunted Douglas Island for a day while stuck, and we had a great day via boat out of Sitka once I got there, but I didn't get a feel for the road system opportunities in Sitka and didn't see much action in Juneau.

So...is anyone willing to tell me if there is a town where a fella could have a reasonable time walking in the woods via a rental car over the Thanksgiving time frame? I'd head to Petersburg, as I know some folks there and love the area, but the season is closed there by that point. I have zero experience with the other towns where such a quick trip would be possible - Ketchikan, Wrangell, etc. I'd appreciate any thoughts, even if those involve dissuading me from the idea altogether.

If it was me I'd go to Craig. Or one of the other towns/villages on Prince of Wales Island. Lots of logging roads and the nicest Blacktails you'll find in Alaska. You can rent a car in Craig. Not sure about the other places
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Interesting thought. I had pretty much discounted POW because I figured there weren't regularly scheduled flights over there, but I was thinking more of the smaller towns like Coffman Cove. Huh...thanks for the food for thought.

Island air express has 3 flights/day from ketchikan to klawock, desk is next to ak air in ktn. Vehicle rental across the road from island air desk in klawock.
    Wheeled caravan has fewer weather delays than the float planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm considering a short hunt over the four day Thanksgiving break, and got to thinking about deer in Southeast.

A couple years back I visited a forum member in Sitka for a short three-day deer hunt. Unfortunately, it became a one-day hunt after I got stranded in Juneau for two days due to a cancelled flight. I hunted Douglas Island for a day while stuck, and we had a great day via boat out of Sitka once I got there, but I didn't get a feel for the road system opportunities in Sitka and didn't see much action in Juneau.

So...is anyone willing to tell me if there is a town where a fella could have a reasonable time walking in the woods via a rental car over the Thanksgiving time frame? I'd head to Petersburg, as I know some folks there and love the area, but the season is closed there by that point. I have zero experience with the other towns where such a quick trip would be possible - Ketchikan, Wrangell, etc. I'd appreciate any thoughts, even if those involve dissuading me from the idea altogether.

Brian,

Two summers ago some friends and I went with THESE FOLKS and had a great time. We weren't deer hunting, but they do that too. It's basically a do-it-yourself deal. They provide lodging, a pickup... everything but the food. They even have a nice jacuzzi to soak in at the end of the day.

You might give Gooch a ring at Coffman Cove Adventures. They offer the same thing in a different area, plus they feed you too! I would have ended up there instead of the other place, but a friend set the trip up and it was a done deal.

Whatever you decide, POW is an incredible trip. And they have these really large things they call "trees" down there! Can you believe it! HUGE TREES! In Alaska, no less!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You could fly in to Ketchikan or Wrangell and take a small plane over to POW. I would go to POW if it were me.

Just not sure if I can pull off POW on a four day trip. Love the idea, just need to look at the logistics. Thanks for the ideas!

Why not Kodiak?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why not Kodiak?
    Kodiak road system isn't open over Thanksgiving except for youth hunting.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

One more for POW
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Just not sure if I can pull off POW on a four day trip. Love the idea, just need to look at the logistics. Thanks for the ideas!
    Hope you can do it. A buddy is a tester for armed forces recruiters and went to Craig on a testing trip. Stayed over 2 days and rented a car and had a blast. There are hundreds of miles of logging roads on POW, over 1,000 miles I believe.

You can also fly into Ketchikan and catch the ferry over to the island.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I would think POW would be easier logistically. Good luck

You'll always struggle with the weather Brian. Road system in Ketchikan...there's some options but nothing slam dunk good. You know people in Ketch, just saying. You should call me.

SE road system: any town Juneau and South with Jet service. Then google earth scout and look for a road that can get you to 1/2 mile of muskegs with adjacent mountains.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why not Kodiak?
    Kodiak RS is closed now for all intensive purposes. But Brian, I would contact Jeff "Kodiak Combos", maybe he can put ya up and just hunt from there. Fly to Kodiak, mail flight to Old Harbor is pretty cheap, lots of deer on the island, they are making a big comeback after that 2011-12 winter. It would be a shorter travel from Anchorge overall, and the weather from Kodiak to Old Harbor isn't going to be any worse than trying to get from Ketch to POW.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Fly into Juneau and go hunt Douglas Is. Plenty of territory for anyone who likes to hike.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Fly to Ketchikan, rent an SUV, take the ferry to Hollis, Stay in a Craig motel, I did that one spring, traveled 1,500 miles up and down the island of POW, saw lots of deer every day, we were bear hunting. Lots of closed roads, just walk up them and try out a deer call, a squealer will work well, deer will come running. There is a good place to get your meat packaged in Klawock. Phyllis will do a good job if you need your meat cut, wrapped and frozen. Have fun. Gerberman

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    Lots of closed roads, just walk up them and try out a deer call, a squealer will work well, deer will come running.
    For some reason I don't think it works quite that way !

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    For some reason I don't think it works quite that way !
    Sounds like it may be a decent bear hunting strategy...lol
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Ketchikan road system today. Not mine but a buddies.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast