Thread: Aluminum Boat in Harbor Slip

Default Aluminum Boat in Harbor Slip

Any members here with aluminum boats that keep them in a slip during the summer? My question is do I need bottom paint. If so any recommendations? I'll be putting on some fresh zincs over the winter and a second bilge pump.

Thanks
    Henry

What is the main reason your wanting bottom paint? Help to protect agent corrosion or to keep algae off the hull?

Also if you intend to be connected to power I would recommend you also look into a galvanic isolator and depending on the harbor a isolation transformer to keep the boat from having problems.

If you plan to leave your boat in the water for extended periods, you need antifouling paint or you need to pull the boat and pressure wash occasionally. There are a number of excellent copper free paints available. . .good for multi-season protection.

MacGyver Actually I am concerned about both if they are going to be an issue. Boat will most likely be in the slip (and used) from April to September. I'm the kind of guy that wears suspenders and a belt. Like to have all the bases covered before something happens. Using paint like I did on glass boat that has copper in it I know is a nono. The boat will be in Whittier and I am not rigged for shore power.

I may be wrong but unless you have been on the list to get a slip for several years you are not going to get one.

Before worrying about corrosion sitting in a slip you need to make sure you're boat is corrosion free or have it under control using anodes. Have you inspected the hull, anodes and electrical systems for problems.

I've found that if you don't use the boat every weekend you will need to
    Pull it every couple weeks to spray it down with bleach water to kill the algae growth or paint the hull. Bleach works great for us each summer. We pull it if we don't make it to Seward for a couple weeks and spray it down. Some pressure wash afterwards. We just launch and it strips right off. Crazy how fast the green grass grows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My boat is used year round. Yes bottom paint it. E Paint is good stuff, mine is on its 3rd year. Both the green stuff & corrosion can be a problem. The Homer harbor is notoriously "hot" for corrosion. On a side note, don't over zinc your boat. Also don't let your aluminum boat sit on carpeted trailer bunks.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I may be wrong but unless you have been on the list to get a slip for several years you are not going to get one.
    This year would have been my 8th year on the Wait List. Finally got my letter and Slip number a few days ago.

Interesting. This is my tenth year on the list (both 28-34 and 34-37) and I haven't been called yet. #10 on 34-37 and #30-some on 28-34. What list were you on?

What harbor are we talking about here, I know Seward had a long list but Homer was only about 2yr wait.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    What harbor are we talking about here, I know Seward had a long list but Homer was only about 2yr wait.
    Whittier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I would think they would have a waiting list.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    On a side note, don't over zinc your boat.
    It interesting you mention don't over zinc your boat. Most boaters have no idea what your talking about. But your not most boater are you? LOL After you had the hull painted did you have the hull potential tested?

I've been told it can be a problem after bottom paint is put on a aluminum hull. If so what did you find out?

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    Interesting. This is my tenth year on the list (both 28-34 and 34-37) and I haven't been called yet. #10 on 34-37 and #30-some on 28-34. What list were you on?
    It was the up to 28' list. The slip I got is 24'

MacGyver,
    In the 3 years I've had the boat year-round in the Homer Harbor the thing I've noticed is longer zinc life with bottom paint. I haven't increased nor decreased the size or amount of zincs on the boat at any point. A pal does a lot of bottom painting locally and told me that boats (aluminum) that sit in the harbor without paint are often pitted. every time I pull it for oil changes I go over the hull pretty thoroughly and am pretty happy with the results.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978