Thread: Upper Kasilof?

Default Upper Kasilof?

My limited fly fishing past has been as a wade fisherman, mostly for bows & dollies on Quartz with beads.
    BUT, I just picked up a new to me drift boat & intend to take it out on the slackwater above the upper boat launch on the Kasilof to play with it & learn a bit more about rowing.
    Will there be any rainbows in there this time of year (I have no knowledge of fishing the Kasilof)?
    If so is it flesh & beads?

Thanks
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Will there be any rainbows in there this time of year (I have no knowledge of fishing the Kasilof)?
    If so is it flesh & beads?

Thanks
    There are fall steelhead in the upper Jasilof but there aren't huge numbers; they can be picked up floating from Slackwater down to the bridge. If you're a little iffy on the oars, I wouldn't recommend it - there are some decent sized rocks and faster water in a few spots on that stretch. Skilak to Bing's is your best bet to catch rainbows this time of year and the rowing isn't really technical other than getting across the mile and a quarter portion of the Lake. I'm floating it Tuesday. Good luck!

Thank you sir!
    Yeah I was mostly wanting to get the wife & new boat out & get the boat wet so the fishing was no biggy. I have just a little over -0- time at the oars so I wasn't wanting to head down from the upper launch & I think the middle probably isn't even real wise for me right now :-) "A man's got to know his limitations" :-) Wew rowed up to the lake & back & had a beautiful chilly day.
    I hope to be out playing a little more serious by spring. Hope you do well out there today!
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

A super easy float is from Kenai Lake mouth to first bridge over the Kenai, or Cooper Creek. Only semi fast water I remember is right in front of Princess Lodge, and I don't think there were any rocks, just some fast water and standing waves for about 50 yards. Rainbows, dollies and coho.

Can't remember if there's any drift pullout there though; if you have to float on down to sportsman's there is some hairy water.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    A super easy float is from Kenai Lake mouth to first bridge over the Kenai, or Cooper Creek. Only semi fast water I remember is right in front of Princess Lodge, and I don't think there were any rocks, just some fast water and standing waves for about 50 yards. Rainbows, dollies and coho.
    There is not a public takeout between Kenai Lake and Sportsmans landing. The upper Kenai river closes Nov 1 to fishing for coho. Removing them from the water if caught unintentionally is illegal.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. She's tarped for the year, but I am looking forward to spring!
    Vance in AK.