Thread: Bear Fence

Default Bear Fence

I'm planning a float trip this fall and I'm looking for some advice about Bear fencing. Are they worth the hassle and the time? Does anyone have any experience with the different models, one being better than the other? I saw 1 that was 3.7 lbs and another that is 24 lbs. Pros & cons? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have one thru work, and talked a bit with the distributor up in the valley.

A lot of the seasonal ADF&G field camps use them nowadays.

However, the standard setups with the "ribbon" do not work well on gravel bars. They are tough to get grounded if you are on rock and sand.... But if your up on uplands, with at least 6-8 inches of sod, it should work...

To overcome the ground problem on rock and sand, you can get a "NET" style fence instead of the ribbons... It is self grounding, so it works anywhere...

But its a lot heavier and more akward to deal with the net instead of the ribbon.

I tested it as well, couldnt resist.. Was interesting... You can actually grab them and not get shocked, but thats because I was wearing rubber boots... Bears dont wear boots... So I put one hand on the ground, and then one hand on the fence... giving the electricity a direct path, and not thru my boots... ZAP... Zap.. And that was on just 4 D sized batteries..

They are obviously not going to do anything to an aggressive bear that wants thru it, but for bears that just wander into camp, I cant see it not getting their attention...

That being said, I would not take one rafting, to big and awkward.... Better for fly in base camps and such, where you are leaving it set up for at least a few days...

Default Bear Fence

I used the UDAP fence on my last float hunt. Great gear, light, easy to setup and large enough for an entire camp. As far as gravel goes, just make two wires hot and one the ground. When anything hits both wires ZAP. My fence will put you on your knees. Weights less than 4 lbs, 2 D batteries. I slept better and enjoyed my time away from my gear alot more knowing that the fence was there.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    As far as gravel goes, just make two wires hot and one the ground.
    Its been a year since I used ours and I cant picture how you would do this? But that would be a great trick... Afai remember there are 2 alligator clips and the ground off the control unit. Did you just add a alligator clip to the ground so it could be clipped to the 3rd ribbon?

Default Hot Wires

Yes, just make a couple jumper wires. Make the midlle wire the ground. As the bear tries to get bween the wires he will make a conection. I also used a longer ground rod and wet the area around the ground rod. Pour water around your ground rod and keep it wet. Buy a tester from a feed store, gets old touching it to see if it works real fast. We were able to get off the gravel most times. Well worth the money and hassle to me. If a bear gets your raft, you are in trouble. A chopper ride out is way more than a bear fence.

Steve

Default bear fence

do you have any pics of how you were set up with the raft? Any research on the different fences? Where did you get yours?

Thanks for the input
    Tom

Here was our set up on Kodiak with the bear fence on our 2007 Spring hunt ..
    We used the http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-rep...able-electric-
    fence.htm#yellowjacket

It worked well . It kept the bears away in droves !!! Matter of fact I think it drove them out of Shartine Bay ????

RR
    Last edited by RANGER RICK; 11-10-2009 at 15:05.
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif