Thread: big gear on a 182

Default big gear on a 182

I recently picked up a early 60's 182. It wont see much pavement and I don't mind losing a few kts. I'm mostly concerned with keeping the rocks out of the prop and having the ability to land on soft strips. I would like to get some input on what the biggest fork/main gear set up would be.

Default big gear on a 182

Landis nose fork STC up to 8.50-6 nose wheel. Always liked 8.50-10 on the mains, either GarAero wheels or 10X10 Alaska Bush Wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Landis nose fork STC up to 8.50-6 nose wheel. Always liked 8.50-10 on the mains, either GarAero wheels or 10X10 Alaska Bush Wheels.
    The 10 X 10 ABW Is hands down better choice for wheels and the 206's in our area run 29x11x10's on the mains, 850x6's on the nose. IMO you couldn't do much better for off field ops.

Not sure of the 182, but I flew several 206s this summer off field, one with 10x10 and 29in gars on the mains and 2 others with 29in bushwheels. I preferred the bushwheels because I was doing alot of soft mud or beach sand, but the gars were more than capable for the same. All had landis nose fork with 8.50-6.

Thanks for the come back Ill look into getting a landis fork and a set of ABW's