Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodstove recommendations

Default Woodstove recommendations

My wife and I are planning on building our cabin next summer and we will be buying a wood stove for the cabin this winter. I was wondering if you guys would mind giving me your recommendations to the latest and greatest deals for wood stoves these days. I was thinking about just buying one of those barrel wood stoves they sell down at SBS. I've seen them and used them before but I'm not sure how good they are for long term use. So how about it? Any recommendations?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I would spend the money and get a quality wood stove. In my experience barrel stoves rust / corrode out after several years.

We have an older non-catalytic Blaze King Princess in our log cabin. It was in the cabin when we bought it.

Our cabin is 1300 sq ft, two story, with quite a few windows. It is not super insulated.

When we are not at the cabin it is unheated. Our stove will heat up the cabin when it's -40 to tee shirt in about six-eight hours. It takes a-while for the cold soaked logs to warm up.

We can load the stove with dried birch and it will last all night.

We are completely happy with our stove and have no complaints.

I have a newer blaze king princess in a 12x20 2 story cabin with very little insulation, mostly plywood and thats it. It will heat the cabin from -20 to 50 degrees in about an hour if you have your wood bundle and super dry wood ready to go. I can also dial it way down and not overheat the cabin, and its way overkill in my opinion for my setup but I got a killer deal on it. Before that was a barrel stove and that thing ate firewood up as quick as you could feed it. Cold air intake is a must, keeps it dry inside. In the winter during a normal 3 day weekend I will burn about 5 rounds worth of wood, split in 3s so about 15 pieces of wood. Not much at all, and can go 8 hours between fillups, where the barrell stove needed wood every 2-3 hours.

Heat the cabin with a blaze king princess, heat the house with a king model.
    Highly recommended.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

I had a barrel stove in the 16x34 cabin for years. It's fast to get the place heated up but it is harder to dial down a barrel stove than a blaze king. The barrel stove uses a lot more wood.

I now use a blaze king princess. The stove does a great job and it's easy to regulate the temperature (barrel stove seems like full hot or off). I use a lot less wood and like others report, an excellent burn time. I like being able to burn a long time at a lower heat setting.

I use a Blaze King at home and am pleased with the performance. While the blaze kings aren't the prettiest stoves, I've really come to like them.

I'm not sure where you are located in Alaska but I would caution about getting too small of stove. Being able to load up the box with more wood is important. I don't like waking up to feed the stove.

Another vote for the Blase king, but any heavy stove made from 1/4in steel and fire bricked inside, that will take 20-24" wood will do just fine.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Blasé King is a popular stove up here, I was never a fan of them back in the early days because of there catalytic converter but they do make a good stove.

I few notes to keep in mind when looking at a stove for your home or cabin.

Buy cheap and that is what you get.

Buy cheap and the clearances to combustible will put it out in the middle of the room if you want it safe.

Buy cheap and you will go through more wood and that equates to more work than having fun.

Bottom line and this is what I ran into a lot in my business in CO. The cheaper the stove the higher the clearances to combustibles if you want it safe. IE. Barrel stove will put out a lot of heat 360degree around it so you should have it about 36'' for the wall. If not over time it will dry out the wood and one day it will flash and light up. Second, you will get a somewhat of a long burn time (Wrong) the amount of wood you can pile in gives you the burn time but will also run you out of the cabin as well.
    Newer stoves have a smaller box, burns more evenly and cleaner. Much better clearance and safer for you and family and they will last longer. remember go just a little larger on the stove than the SF of the house or cabin. That way will not have to run the stove as hard over time.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have had a barrel stove in my cabin for over 30 years. It's the heavier military barrel, and we shortened the length by one third and put some bricks in it. Lined the area around it with pavers. Have a small Nashua in another cabin. It won't hold a fire all night though. The cabin project I'm working on now has a blaze king waiting to be installed.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Listen to these guys, IMO. We have heated our entire home with a blaze king princess for 10 years with no back up heat system. We burn about 7-8 cords a year in the upper susitna valley, about 80% spruce, 20% birch. No complaints, best woodstove I've ever used.

We once left the place for the weekend in December, we came back more than 36 hours later and there were still enough coals in the stove to just put some dry spruce in with a little birch bark and it took off again in minutes. Try that with a barrel stove!

Buy once cry once...blaze king

I run a lennox in my home. It is an insert. I didn't want to have a cat converter. This one uses tubes. It is awesome.

I have a Blaze King that is about 15 years old. It came with the house, and it heats it fairly well. But I had someone clean the inside of the firebox some years ago and they messed up the catalytic guts. Ever since, the stove will creosote up right under the chimney flange. I had to remove the built in damper because it would get clogged with creosote and not slide back and forth (I burn dry beetle kill). I now run a catalytic damper inside the flue but still have the problem. Always on the verge of a chimney fire. When I clean the flue I have to be really careful that the brush doesn't harm the damper.
    Note: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLEANING CATALYTIC FIREBOXES! The ceramic framework is delicate.

I prefer non-catalytic and run an Enviro stove. They build VERY good stoves, and I can highly recommended them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What size cabin are you building? Blaze kings are nice stoves but now days there are many other stoves that will crank out the heat and have excellent burn control. Look for a new stove with a good size fire box so you can load it up at night and turn it down. Check out Osburn stoves. They work great and look nice too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    What size cabin are you building? Blaze kings are nice stoves but now days there are many other stoves that will crank out the heat and have excellent burn control. Look for a new stove with a good size fire box so you can load it up at night and turn it down. Check out Osburn stoves. They work great and look nice too

Oops. Yeah that would be some good info to know. 16 x 20. Thanks for the reminder. Sounds like the Blaze Kings are the way to go.

Single story or two? Blaze king princess will even be a little over kill for a single story

Something like a little Vermont Castings Aspen will be capable of driving you out of a 16x20 cabin.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would agree that is a good stove and I had installed several in the years I was in that business but the same complaint was the little fire box. It is a great size for a small sft home... you will have to cut the wood size down to 12'' to 14'' for the fire box.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Earth Stoves are the bomb if you can find a good un.....remember that burn times are species-specific. Dry spruce to warm up the cabin, and birch or alder overnight is the way to go.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

For the past 35 years I have heated my home in Colorado with a Fisher Grandpa stove. When researching for a stove cost and getting the best bang for my $ was a factor. I liked the Yotal but again the cost factor. Never a complaint with fisher, family lived around that stove. One thing to consider is mass which helps to hold and radiate heat also draft system to control all night burn and size of firebox determines length of logs and splits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast