Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best eating fish?

Default Best eating fish?

Ok Guys and Gals;

I already reserved a Halibut trip for next year(July 2016) and was looking into another trip the day before or after. I have eaten Halibut and only a fool would hate that. My question is there another great eating fish. Were going to be trying to "flip" for reds on the Kenai. Rock fish-Silver's-------or try to do a combo for the 3? Or just do another Halibut trip?

Any comments?

Thanks

Everybody's tastes are different. Difficult for one person to know what another person will like. Personally, I think halibut tastes pretty bland and boring, relative to just about anything else you might want to fish for.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We like them all, and mix them up depending on the preparation. Right now there are 14 species in our freezer, and they'll all be gone by spring. If I had to pick just one, it would be a really fat feeder king salmon.

If there are saltwater kings around at the time, that would be my #1 choice. If not, rockfish are better than halibut for deep-frying and searing.

As mentioned... just depends. Different fish for different dishes.

Halibut is the turkey of the sea.... mild flavor, takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it to be. Chowder, olympia, baked, fish and chip...just get out the spice rack.

Rocksfish.... good flavor, firm fleshed. Makes awesome ceviche or fish and chips.

Salt kings.... grill fish....just delicious.

Fresh water reds... smoke 'em, real fatty and smoking them turns them into fish bacon.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I tend to think of halibut as bonesless skinless chikcen breasts, have no real flavor of their own so cook it anyway you would chicken. I prefer Fresh Kings and I am fortunate enough that I don't have to put more than 1 in the freezer at a time. I will take a fresh feeder king over the rest buy far. Rockfish are the bomb too and for Alaskan fish would be right below kings IMO.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

A lot of fish are best fresh but if frozen this is my preference.

1. Halibut
    2. Reds
    3. Yellow eye
    4. King
    5. Silver

I don't really care for much else if it has been frozen.

OK- I heard the fish that we call Ocean Perch was a rock fish-----Not to great of tasting(not like a lake perch)but we get them frozen also. Is it the same fish????

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying on everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    OK- I heard the fish that we call Ocean Perch was a rock fish-----Not to great of tasting(not like a lake perch)but we get them frozen also. Is it the same fish????

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying on everything.

Thanks
    Depends on where you are??? on the East Coast we called Stripers rockfish.....Here there are too many species of rockfish to list, but most targeted are Blacks, yelloweyes, tigers and quilbacks.....http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...imals.listfish, this page list the yellow eye and black rockfish (not to be confused with blackfish). Look through some forum posts or check out numerous charter operators pages in the area you;re heading for a better idea of what they are. One thing tho, they are all yummy.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Default Best eating fish?

Ok. For me feeder King it truly King!! But I can't believe no one said lingcod yet? Awesome fish. My #2! Season opens the first of July. They are a harder species to target but a good charter should put u on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had one last meal it would be a toss up between a fresh King salmon or Yellow Eye rock fish. Both are excellent

1) Walleye from the Missouri river near Pierre, SD.
    2) Crappie from Spirit Lake by Garland, AR.
    3) Brim/Perch from 2 above.
    4) Catfish from our stock pond in Buckner, AR.
    5) Grayling caught from Clear Creek off the Tanana south of Fairbanks.

And yes, the location is important.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I second bkbaker's choices: 1/ feeder king; 2/ lingcod.

After eating Lake Trout for over 30 years I love it all.
    Alaska favorites.
    Feeder Kings (Funnest to catch and my Favorite to eat)
    Ling Cod (best Fresh doesn't keep frozen as well as others and in danger. I'll keep a small one to eat fresh once in a while and let the rest go)
    Yellow eye (Great treat on boat trips)
    Rockfish (like them whole fish Panama style)
    Halibut (as someone else mentioned Chicken of the North Sea but I have learned to release the big ones)
    Silvers and Reds (its all good)
    Redleader standing by

No one else is gonna sing the praise of black cod (sablefish)? That's my personal favorite white fleshed fish.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Ooh!! Yes Black cod is amazing!! That would be hard to target on a charter

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    No one else is gonna sing the praise of black cod (sablefish)? That's my personal favorite white fleshed fish.
    That's my #2 fish after feeder king, though as was noted, they're difficult to target for sportfishermen. The small ones that people have been catching shallow are decent, but not nearly as rich as the larger ones from the depths.

Charterboat Operator

Ok Guys and Gals;

I already reserved a Halibut trip for next year(July 2016) and was looking into another trip the day before or after. I have eaten Halibut and only a fool would hate that. My question is there another great eating fish. Were going to be trying to "flip" for reds on the Kenai. Rock fish-Silver's-------or try to do a combo for the 3? Or just do another Halibut trip?

Any comments?

Thanks
    My family all can agree on rock fish for dinner, doesn't seem to mater what make or model, any rock fish at my house get a thumbs up even from a 6 and 8 year old, and we love it as fish tacos, Me personally..... For these local waters of Kachemak bay AK, I love my feeder king on the grill..

Grilled kings
    Smoked reds
    Rock fish tacos
    Halibut Olympia

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

...great eating fish....
    A couple of things haven't come up yet, but are key to great eats:

How you take care of the fish from the head smack till it hits your table hours, days, weeks or months later.

Your cooking skills and versatility.

We're nazis about taking care of fish, and do so well we can use our king bellies for sushi up to a year later. No tougher quality measure that I know of, keeping a really fat fish from going rancid in the freezer.

Recipes and care in cooking is the rest of the story. I just counted up and we eat feeder king 9 different ways. We have about that many preparations for every one of the 14 species in our freezer. They all taste great and you never get tired of eating fish, so you eat lots. We have fish at least once a day, seven days a week, whether for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks.

Got all that money tied up in tackle, boats and fishing expenses, I'm going to make the most of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast