Thread: .458 SOCOM.......Is there an Alaska Hunting Application.......???

Default .458 SOCOM.......Is there an Alaska Hunting Application.......???

Do you have any experience with the .458 SOCOM cartridge.......good, bad, ugly.......???

I have RRA upper in .458 Socom that I haven't SHOT YET. The ugly so far is ammo and components for loading. Make sure you have those in hand first. I have everything now, but it took awhile. Waiting for life to settle down a bit first. Breaking my arm hasn't helped.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Thanks..........What weight bullet are you planning to load........???

Real world numbers- 500 gr bullet @ 1330 fps. (Hornady RN with H4198)

About equal to an old 45-70.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Guess that takes it for being a "Mouse" gun, to being a charging angry, fire breathing Muskrat stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Real world numbers- 500 gr bullet @ 1330 fps. (Hornady RN with H4198)

About equal to an old 45-70.

A friend of mine bought one, I've shot it a little. His thought is that it's really a lot of fuss for very little real world gain.

A "curiosity" would be a good description.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks..........What weight bullet are you planning to load........???
    I bought a bunch of Hornady 350 grain round nose. Should be able to get them to 1800 fps. I'm finding a lot more data for 300 grain bullets though.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I am hoping to stay in the lighter weight bullet range, to reduce recoil. I have a 10.5" pistol upper coming.......
    Yea, I don't figure to shoot it much, just another walk'about firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I bought a bunch of Hornady 350 grain round nose. Should be able to get them to 1800 fps. I'm finding a lot more data for 300 grain bullets though.

The Barnes 250 and 300gr TSX and 300gr TTSX would be good to try in it. Running 500gr hornady rn suppressed and subsonic are fun too. Cast bullets will work but make sure your barrel is throated to keep them out of the lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornady 325FTX works well for me... out of my 10.5" upper. Also grabbed some Remington 405g bulk bullets at Cabelas that I have worked up as subs. Waiting for a couple of boxes of a 500gr expanding subsonic round to work up and test out in gel... once my 458 can is released, it should prove to be fun.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    Hornady 325FTX works well for me... out of my 10.5" upper. Also grabbed some Remington 405g bulk bullets at Cabelas that I have worked up as subs. Waiting for a couple of boxes of a 500gr expanding subsonic round to work up and test out in gel... once my 458 can is released, it should prove to be fun.
    Which can did you get? I picked up Coastal Model X earlier this year but have not used it much yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Which can did you get? I picked up Coastal Model X earlier this year but have not used it much yet.
    I read thru the 458socom forums and went with the favorite there, the Lane Scorpion458, altho for a few pennies saves I got the Ti internals with the SS tube. Talked with the owner Cory and he said "Our titanium has a yield strength of 80,000psi and the stainless is 75,000psi. Neither will fail for your applications. We durability tested the 458 using a 458 win mag and a 375 H&H" so I can use it on my 338WM as well. Sadly I'll be waiting a few more months to test it out.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

My .458 SOCOM has been a real hoot. With the right bullets, it will whack some pretty big stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images