Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SeaSport 26/27 with Outboards?

Default SeaSport 26/27 with Outboards?

Is anyone running a SeaSport 26/27 with outboards? Curious what engines you are running and what sort of performance you are getting. We are converting a 27 pilot with twin I/O's to outboards over the winter and still need to pick out a set of engines for the boat. I'm pretty interested in the new Mercury 150 four strokes, BassPro has a competitive price on them, but I'm not quite sure that it's going to be enough go juice for the boat. Would love to hear some numbers from anybody running twin 150's.

Thanks

The 150's are not enough ponies in my opinion for a boat that's likely in the 7000lb range. What about the 4 cyl Yamaha or Suzuki 200's?
    The power to weight ratio is pretty good, and there's enough of em out right now to hear about bugs if any.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Shoot tlingitwarrior a pm. He has one with a set of F150s. It looks great on the water and seems to be powered appropriately, although the inline 4 cylinder 200s really deserve a look. What year is your SS?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I really like the looks of the new Suzuki 200 inline 4's and I think the 175's would be a good match too. I'm leaning towards something along those lines, think a higher horse power 4 cylinder would be a good fit. 150's would help the budget out a bit though, especially something that would not require a digital shift/throttle. Was just hoping someone had some real world numbers with 150's.

Spoiled One, the old girl is a 1985, she just needs a new set of legs. I've seen TlingitWarrior's posts and I think he is running a 24 with 150's, which seems to be a pretty popular combo. Ours is a little bigger at 26 and change and it has the larger pilot cabin. They don't run great at higher speeds and I'm just hoping to get her set up to run in the 35-38mph range at WOT.

Azimuth, you are right. His is a 24 footer now that I think about it.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

look at the power heads...if the 175's are running same power head as the 200 you'd be better off going 200's....in the long run you'll run those 150's harder & burn more fuel than going 200's & throttling back

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    I really like the looks of the new Suzuki 200 inline 4's and I think the 175's would be a good match too. I'm leaning towards something along those lines, think a higher horse power 4 cylinder would be a good fit. 150's would help the budget out a bit though, especially something that would not require a digital shift/throttle. Was just hoping someone had some real world numbers with 150's.

Spoiled One, the old girl is a 1985, she just needs a new set of legs. I've seen TlingitWarrior's posts and I think he is running a 24 with 150's, which seems to be a pretty popular combo. Ours is a little bigger at 26 and change and it has the larger pilot cabin. They don't run great at higher speeds and I'm just hoping to get her set up to run in the 35-38mph range at WOT.
    Are you adding an offshore bracket that will extend the planing surface and add floatations? Our customer's 27' SS rides very stern heavy and requires large trim tabs and allot of them to plane out well. I'm guessing you"ll need a full offshore bracket with the added weight astern.
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

We have a Pooderbuilt bracket for the boat, he makes the OE brackets for the new SeaSports and it should be a good fit. The bracket is not a full CET bracket that would extend the running surface, but it does have a boxed in section that will provide additional flotation.

Pretty exciting stuff! On the same note as extending the bottom, I'm contemplating that modification for the Hewes. I repowered in the spring with a set of 115's and they are definitely heavier than the 100's I had but the overall benefits (long shaft, fuel injection, lower rpms at a bit faster cruise) are great. A bit more floatation in the rear would be kinda nice.
    On the motor choices I'd figure out who locally offers the best service, which warranty is better, etc. I've heard that these new 200's require premium fuel but the guys I've talked to that have them run the fuel dock regular gas say they run fine. I think Yamaha offers the 175 (same block as the 200) to run on regular unleaded.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Azimuth,

The Mercury 150s are a 3.0 liter block, which is pretty big for a 150 hp outboard. You will have 6.0 liters and 300 hp. That should be adequate. I have two friends who have the 27' Seasport Navigators with single Volvo Diesel AD-41s (the 200 hp models). Those boats are 20 knot boats, but get good fuel economy. I think you will be ok. The old Volvo four cylinder sterndrive AQ140s with Volvo 190 or 180 legs were only 140 hp each so you are gaining 20hp and the motors are much better.

Can't wait to see the finished product and hear about the results.

That Volvo Penta shop in Anchorage had a Seasport 27' Explorer that had sunk a while back and they stripped it and sold it. I though that boat would make a great conversion project.

Sobie2

My uncle has a 27 Pilot with twin Evinrude 200's on there. The thing can haul ass and has no problems getting on step. From what I recall last time were on the boat, it got pretty poor fuel economy.

I think that fact u can get 30" lower units on 225~300hp Suzuki would be a reason to go a little bigger twins to get a deeper lower unit. It would keep the power heads a little more out of the water. That was one of the reasons I went with a single 300 on my 24 Seasport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one that Noah Marine had at their shop seemed like it would have been a good project, from what I have read on other forums it seems like that is the boat that fatbacks is talking about, I remember seeing it with twin etec 200's. From what I read about it on THT that boat with twin 200's would run in the upper 40's at WOT and it's my understanding that with the hull form on the 27's these boats can be a bit squirrely at those speeds.

The AQ140's seemed adequate at best and supposedly made 147hp when they were new, but in an IO horsepower is measured at the block not at the prop like an outboard so there is some difference there. I like the larger displacement on the Mercs and the larger gear case that would allow the motor to turn a relatively big prop.

There's been a 27 Navigator with twin 150hp Honda's for sale in Fairbanks for a while, I need to get a hold of him and bend his ear for a little bit.

I have sea sport 27 navigator with twin Yamaha 150s it runs great but with pilot I would go 200 there are a couple of 27 pilots with 200s out of Whittier try to find out from those guys if you can

Boat Test.com has done a review of the new G2 Evinrude E Tec 200hp and up, some pretty cool features.

Steering mechanism built into the mount, so no rams in the splash well, or bracket.

81 degree tilt--which will put every motor out of the water.

133 amps of charging capacity with Magneto type of charging system, eliminates alternator belts.

Joystick maneuvering with twins, SWEET!

Defiantly worth a look, probably some of the most inavating advanced outboard features to come along in years.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I would look hard at the 175 suzuki in twins.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

There is simply no substitute for horsepower. Twin 150's are just going to leave you wanting more. Some of the sea sports are squirrelly at speed, I bottom painted a few and noticed the flat pad at the stern portion of the hull, asked owners about it and they said wot high speed was an adventure.
    Hondas suck by the way

I have a 27' navigator with twin Yamaha 200s, 2005 v-6's. The new Yamaha 4 cylinder 200's would save fair amount of weight. At 4200 rpm I am getting 1.6 mpg going 34 mph. She is thirsty, but gets you there quick when the water lets you run that fast.

Saw this clean set up here in Homer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, that one looks great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast