Thread: GoPro or SLR with Spotting scope

Default GoPro or SLR with Spotting scope

Instead of lugging around a SLR with a 300 lens and spotting scope, I was thinking of just using the spotting scope with GoPro or SLR.
    I like the idea of the size, weight, and durability of the GoPro compared to my Cannon rebel.

I am looking from some input from folks that have tried the Gopro and if they could tell enough difference to carry the SLR instead.

I have used a GP, but like my waterproof point and shoot better. It does video and photos, is waterproof so I always have it in my pocket. I use the Olympus TG4, it attaches to Swaro spotter with a cheap and light step ring.

All the video and photos were taken with my TG4, when attached to the spotter I can use my phone to control it and my buddy can see what the spotter sees at the same time. We call it the "ram cam"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8-kAupEAA
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you for the input. I have thought about going to a point and shoot since I was going after bou and go into a heard of Muskox, and my camera was in the truck. Good point with the ram cam!

I agree with Stid. If you aren't carrying the (D)SLR to actually take pictures with then why lug that around. I have seen decent results with a GoPro mounted on a spotter but it isn't ideal.

That said, I'm a tech junkie so I carry around a DSLR and usually a couple lenses along with a GoPro or two (depending on the hunt) as I love to capture photos and video. However, if I were just looking to do some digiscoping then the P&S is the way to go.

Steve - can you tell us more about how the phone talks to the camera and what kind of phone communicates with it? Can you zoom etc too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Steve - can you tell us more about how the phone talks to the camera and what kind of phone communicates with it? Can you zoom etc too?
    It uses wi-fi, can use a smart photo or tablet. You can zoom, rec, take photos remote view.
    Founding Member

has anyone used the tg-4 with a vortex razor HD 20x60x85 scope ?

What adapters are really needed? Seems like about 200$ in parts from vortex and I am not sure it will work.

I actually have the Razor adaptor set I could unload. I never got around to picking up a spotter so it just sits.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The TG-4 itself has a 40.5mm thread. The adapter by Olympus makes it 45mm. The vortex razor HD digital camera adapter requires a 52mm thread and I think you also have to buy the PS-100, but not sure.

You can get steep rings pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'll see if this works. also got a 40.5 to 52 mm adapter......did not get the PS-100.

Actually, I just dug out my kit and I actually have a 40.5-52mm step ring I had picked up to use on the Vortex setup with a camera I used to have. It just screws onto the 52mm Vortex plate. Basically exactly what Stid has photos of. Here are some (crappy) photos:

Actually, in the photo(s) is also a Zeikos P&S adapter in case that thing in the middle is confusing.

I bought it already through Amazon.......

How long does the battery last on the TG4? Do you Carry extra batteries or charge in the field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get 5 to 7 days on one battery, much depends on temp and how often you view your photos. I take one spare battery and have always had plenty even on long trips and lots of viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Founding Member

Thank you, sounds like this might be the route I will be going.
    Last edited by Mich1tex; 10-30-2015 at 22:51. Reason: typo

I must have hit the wrong buttons when I ordered. I ended up with the Viper setup instead of the Razor setup. I'd be interested in buying your adapter kit if it is for Razor. I am PM'ing you. There is another piece that clicks onto the lens pushbutton of the Razor/Viper scope (same button that releases the lens). Do you have that available also?
    randy

I got your PM. I am headed out the door right now but I will respond to it. Yeah, I will sell the adaptor kit as I never ended up getting the scope. It is for the Razor. I'm not really sure about what you mean about the piece that clicks onto the lens. I have everything that is in the kit linked below and pictured above along with a couple step rings if you still needed those.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...camera-adapter