Thread: knife making

Default knife making

I have been very interested in making knives for several years and have done a lot of reading and research on the subject, but due to circumstances haven't been able to make it happen. So now I am here in Anchorage and would like to do it, but I would like to make a couple before making significant investments. Are there any groups or individuals that have forges or shops that I could use? I wouldn't mind paying for shop time or even classes to make a couple knives and decide if I want to make an investment in equipment.

I am also open to any ideas or suggestions, tip etc from people with experience here on the forum.

Take a look at the Oregon Knife Collectors Association, www.oregonknifeclub.org is a good place to get information, they have a monthly bulletin that has good information, and each April have a huge show in Eugene, Oregon, And they love to talk about making knives. Good Luck, it is fun. Gerberman

I would suggest you talk to the folks at Northern Knives to see if they can help you out. Many Alaska makers sell their knives at the shop and there are some that are happy to teach. There are classes held in other states at events and the Drapers (Mike and Audra) who are Master Smiths offer a class in the summer in Wyoming. I heard that a class is taught occasionally in Fairbanks for forging.

try the http://thefolkschoolfairbanks.org/ They offered class last year on knife making

Do a search on this site for Rancid Crabtree. He shows what can be made with just basic hand tools. He also shows how to make custom sheaths.

Im in the middle of making my first knife blade. From a file. I learned about heat treating, tempering, quenching. Right now, i've softened the file, and shaped the blade, and done the primary grind. Ive not treated it or tempered it yet.

I've done a few handles, and guards. I've modified grinds, and reground tips and edges. My advice, is to start by rehandling a few knives. Old kitchen or hunting knives. Learn the nuances of peening rivets. Take brass bar stock and make a guard. Those are the things that make the finished knife. I've seen lots of folks make a decent blade, but foul up the rivets or handle.

Jantz supply offers inexpensive blade blanks, ready to handle for cheap. I've not used any, but they have a good rep on the web. http://www.knifemaking.com/product-p/j3196.htm At 25 bucks, its a cheap way to get started. I've been pondering getting one myself.

Here is a handle I made for an uncle henry 153 Walnut and cherry

Heres a bowie I rehandled. I had to make a new guard for it.

Heres the bowie before I damaged it and rehandled it.

This is a buffalo skinner blade that I handled for my uncle. I made the guard, handle, and rivets.

These knives i handled for a friend. Sadly, I lost these, the bowie, and the Uncle Henry 153 in a housefire earlier this year.