Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing & Tier Supplements

Default Drawing & Tier Supplements

FYI,
    The Anchorage Fish and Game Office has the Drawing and Tier Supplements available in their Information Center. Applications and online supplements will be available November 1st at www.hunt.alaska.gov.

Wow I can't believe it's that time of year again!!!

Living like kings

do you know why they would hand out hard copies but not post the supplement online? It really doesn't bother me, its just that the final PDF is just sitting on some computer, it wouldn't take much to post it to the adfg webpage. oh well, guess I'll just have to do work or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    do you know why they would hand out hard copies but not post the supplement online? It really doesn't bother me, its just that the final PDF is just sitting on some computer, it wouldn't take much to post it to the adfg webpage. oh well, guess I'll just have to do work or something.
    I want to say that they usually post them online, but with it not being November 1st, they may be waiting. I know last year it was online. It seems like if they are going to be printed before the 1st to get them out to the public that everything would be ready to go for a final PDF to be posted online.

in office in Sitka as well. They will supposedly be posting booklet online tomorrow.

with results posted by February 19th

early enough to make some plans

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    in office in Sitka as well. They will supposedly be posting booklet online tomorrow.
    How do you know about them being posted? Just curious so I don't refresh the adfg page every hour in anticipation.

already got all my tags picked out, now just waiting on application day
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

DC485 So no more units/Zones hunt entire unit 13 ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    DC485 So no more units/Zones hunt entire unit 13 ?
    Correct. They combined all the Unit 13 caribou tags under one name.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Correct. They combined all the Unit 13 caribou tags under one name.
    So what is the reasoning behind this?

I'm happy to see it, but I don't hunt that area often, so I'll like having the flexibility to move around if I am lucky to pull the tag. I'm thinking that after the first year, the odds will go up for the people that didn't draw it since 1000 people won't be able to apply again.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansven View Post
    So what is the reasoning behind this?
    You'll have to ask F&G

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'm happy to see it, but I don't hunt that area often, so I'll like having the flexibility to move around if I am lucky to pull the tag. I'm thinking that after the first year, the odds will go up for the people that didn't draw it since 1000 people won't be able to apply again.
    Now that's an interesting thought. I wonder if you are right. Technically it is not the same tag, but that seems kind of like a gray area if you ask me. It would work out for me because nobody in my family drew last year, but I wonder if the computer system will pick up on that change.

And thus begins the longest three and a half months of the year. I love winter and don't wish for it to rush by, but man, the anticipation of draw results is always in the back of my mind! Expecting lower odds this year due to a different strategy along with Tier I reducing our total number of apps by over 10 (two hunters - moose and caribou), but still...it's hard not to daydream of goat and sheep tags.

Best of luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Expecting lower odds this year due to a different strategy

Best of luck to all!
    Do people use strategies when applying to up their odds of drawing? Call me naive if you will, but in a "random" drawing is there a benefit to a certain strategy or is it more of a placebo? Not looking for secrets by any means but after applying for 17 tags a year over the past 12 years and drawing 1 it makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    Do people use strategies when applying to up their odds of drawing? Call me naive if you will, but in a "random" drawing is there a benefit to a certain strategy or is it more of a placebo? Not looking for secrets by any means but after applying for 17 tags a year over the past 12 years and drawing 1 it makes me wonder.
    When I refer to a strategy, I mean applying for high percentage tags (that are more difficult to access or otherwise less desirable) vs. low percentage tags (that are easier to access, higher trophy potential, etc.). I usually go for a mixed bag - a few dream tags that are very difficult to win with odds in the range of 1-2% mixed in with a few other tags with higher odds of winning. When I said that I expect lower odds this year, it's because I went with almost exclusively lower odds tags along with few applications due to being locked into Unit 13 for caribou and moose. Perhaps strategy is the wrong word, but basically I apply for tags with a big picture view of what I want next fall to look like. Next year we're putting a priority on a family hunt where our boys can join in (hence the Tier I tag) and a fly-out sheep hunt for my wife and I (which changed my approach to sheep and goat tags).

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Now that's an interesting thought. I wonder if you are right. Technically it is not the same tag, but that seems kind of like a gray area if you ask me. It would work out for me because nobody in my family drew last year, but I wonder if the computer system will pick up on that change.
    I can't remember which hunt it was, but a few years ago, I had won a tag (and thus couldn't apply the next year), but they changed the number and the boundaries slightly....and guess what...it let me apply.

I had a unit 13 draw tag this year, I'm thinking I'll put in for this new one this year and see if it works again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    When I refer to a strategy, I mean applying for high percentage tags (that are more difficult to access or otherwise less desirable) vs. low percentage tags (that are easier to access, higher trophy potential, etc.). I usually go for a mixed bag - a few dream tags that are very difficult to win with odds in the range of 1-2% mixed in with a few other tags with higher odds of winning. When I said that I expect lower odds this year, it's because I went with almost exclusively lower odds tags along with few applications due to being locked into Unit 13 for caribou and moose. Perhaps strategy is the wrong word, but basically I apply for tags with a big picture view of what I want next fall to look like. Next year we're putting a priority on a family hunt where our boys can join in (hence the Tier I tag) and a fly-out sheep hunt for my wife and I (which changed my approach to sheep and goat tags).

Looks at some of the past supplements and see how numbers change. When F&G adds a tag, combines them, etc. there is a ripple effect across the system. Last few years there has been a huge change (downward) with the odds on Unit 21 moose tags. Add a new sheep area, and applicants flock to that one, which lowers applicants in another area. I pay attention to some of these, but guessing right is tough. As Brian mentions, putting in for areas that are harder to get to will probably increase your odds.

The other thing I have found through some research on the F&G system is that some of the biggest sheep, moose, etc are coming out of harvest areas. Some of these "dream" areas are producing somewhat modest trophies. Now with that being said, it would be nice to hunt sheep out of my back door (Eagle River) and come home with say a 37" ram vs canvassing the state for a 39" ram. Especially for some of these areas where you know there may only be 1 or 2 tags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast