Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Caliber For Calling Wolves?

Default Best Caliber For Calling Wolves?

I'm wanting to re barrel my 22-250 to something better suited to a dedicated wolf rifle and can't settle on a caliber. I've been looking at everything from a 243 up to a 308. What's everybody else using as a dedicated wolf calling caliber?

I know of several guys using the .22-250.

I use .223.

I'm curious why you don't like your current caliber?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I have killed wolves with my 22-250 and know it is capable. My 22-250 has a 1-14 twist and only 22" barrel and will not stabilize any more than a 55gr bullet. I would like something with a bit more knock down power at distance on a 120-170 lb animal. Also here in Alberta we are not allowed to hunt deer etc with a .22 cal so if it was 243 or larger it would then be legal for me on all game not just coyotes and wolves.

6mm PPC if you can find one.

It seems that the guys who use the 243 sure like it on wolves...
    I shot mine while out moose hunting so I know a 338 works great!!

If I had a choice, it would be the 243 Winchester. I have used one for many years and am please with how it shoots.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf2 View Post
    I have killed wolves with my 22-250 and know it is capable. My 22-250 has a 1-14 twist and only 22" barrel and will not stabilize any more than a 55gr bullet. I would like something with a bit more knock down power at distance on a 120-170 lb animal. Also here in Alberta we are not allowed to hunt deer etc with a .22 cal so if it was 243 or larger it would then be legal for me on all game not just coyotes and wolves.

Quality built AR-15 chambered in 6.8 Remington SPC II using 115 gr. FMJ ammo

I have never hunted wolves, but I am curious why FMJ ammo is recommended? I assume that it is because it will not damage the pelts but it seems like it would be lacking in knock down power. I have never used FMJ's for hunting I was just made me curious, it seems like they would run after being shot.

22-250 IMP with a 1-8 twist spout, shoot 75gr A-max bullets and you are there! 243 with 105gr A-maxís or Bergerís would be great too!

Bullets matter much more than head stamps!.....
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

For a dedicated wolf gun that can pull double duty on deer, the .243 WIN would be tough to beat. Not sure you can find FMJ ammo, but you can get a dedicated varmint bullet that shouldn't leave an exit hole on something the size of a wolf. A Barnes Varmint Grenade or Nosler Ballistic Tip (not the big game one, the varmint one) should do well.

You will be way too large for foxes, lynx and coyote if you're looking to save fur.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

6.5x55 Mauser in a modern rifle has amazing long range characteristics and you can pack up to 160 grain bullets for deer or even moose. Getting up to .264 caliber bullets gives you some amazing ballistic coefficients and sectional densities. In a new 6.5 rifle, you can get a 140 grain bullet going over 2850 fps, with a sectional density equal to a 308 caliber 180 grain and a 0.6+ ballistic coefficient. That's a 1000 yard cartridge, easy. Not to mention, totally adequate for moose. It's the most commonly used caliber for moose in the world because of its popularity in Sweden.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf2 View Post
    knock down power at distance on a 120-170 lb animal.
    Haha! How many 120 pound wolves, weighed on a scale, have you killed so far? Ask someone who REGULARLY traps or shoots wolves what an accurate average weight would be.
    Isn't the action on your 22-250 a long action? Maybe just buy a different rifle. Wolves run in packs, you might need a 20 or 30 round clip to get several............especially if they are 120 or larger!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I am a bit surprised at the question? You are already shooting one of the flattest shooting cal on the market plus produces ample energy to take down a wolf with minimal damage to fur. You go bigger equates to larger hole more damage, smaller might lose the animal. Corse there is always the bullet place argument. What do you not like with what you are shooting now or do you just want a buy a new gun?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I am a bit surprised at the question? You are already shooting one of the flattest shooting cal on the market plus produces ample energy to take down a wolf with minimal damage to fur. You go bigger equates to larger hole more damage, smaller might lose the animal. Corse there is always the bullet place argument. What do you not like with what you are shooting now or do you just want a buy a new gun?
    The OP stated that he can't use a 22 caliber cartridge legally on deer where he is located. With a larger round (243 win, etc) he can hunt both. At least that is what I gathered. I'd go 243 Win myself, but watch the twist rate.

I did a lot of research and just picked up a Tikka T3 Super lite in a .243 for a dedicated wolf gun. I haven't even shot it yet, but I know it will work well. The six wolves that I've taken in Interior Alaska were weighed on a scale and ranged between 85-105 lbs. Maybe someday I'll come across a BIG 130 lb male, but if I see when that goes, uhummm, 170 lbs I may run the other way At any rate, a .243 should perform nicely for you. I would not use a ballistic tip type bullet, but rather a well constructed bullet. I'm going to hand load Sierra 85 gr HPBT's based on great reviews. The Barnes 85 gr TSX would also be great, but their twice the cost. Anyway, good luck with your search for the perfect wolf gun and shoot straight!

Only accurate rifles are good for Wolfing, no matter the caliber.

Shoot what your gonna hit with.

Its thin fur, and a narrow built animal..... put a bullet in it.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

.243 AI with an appropriate twist barrel that'll stabilize a heavier bullet.

First thing any wolf hunter should do is read Mr Reardons book on Frank Glaser. A great non biased read on Alaska's dealing with Wolves.
    After that I went out and bought a Ruger m77 22-250 and shot a few critters.
    After a few years of trapping and hunting I settled on an Ar -15 style rifle capable of long range shots. This allows me long accurate shots and supresive Fire when needed.
    I am ex- military so I am biased to this weapon. But why would you want anything different ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearsnack View Post
    First thing any wolf hunter should do is read Mr Reardons book on Frank Glaser. A great non biased read on Alaska's dealing with Wolves.
    After that I went out and bought a Ruger m77 22-250 and shot a few critters.
    After a few years of trapping and hunting I settled on an Ar -15 style rifle capable of long range shots. This allows me long accurate shots and supresive Fire when needed.
    I am ex- military so I am biased to this weapon. But why would you want anything different ?
    Second his advice. Glaser knew wolves. And you won't be able to put the book down.

Release Lake Trout

22-250, 223, 270 and 12ga,they all did the job. Liked the mini 14 best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast