Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chest pack for hunting

Default Chest pack for hunting

So I'm tired of dropping my pack to grab certain items. I'm thinking a chest pack that is small and comfy might be the ticket.
    Has anyone bought a couple and tried them?

Honesty i thought i would hate them and always laughed at the thought of having something so "bulky" and ridiculous on my chest. But i tried one from Alaska Guide Creations this year and i can't imagine hunting without it now. So convenient having Binos, Brunton ADC, Rangefinder, extra bullets, lens cleaning kit, havalon, tags, licenses, maps all at your finger tips at all times. Ill never hunt without one.

Ive always used the standard elastic crooked horn elastic bouncy style before. This larger pack style holds all my stuff and feels much more comfortable.

FHF which is smaller than the AGC packs. Binos, knife, license, and a real small camera. Easy on and off. Comfy with a heavy pack. Out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGC is making new smaller streamlined packs too, along with bigger ones with extra pockets.

I've been using a Badlands bino case for a couple years now. Really like it. Not a lot of "other" stuff but I keep my tags, map, lighter, some TP, Havalon, and my rangefinder in there.

Very convenient to drop my pack for a stalk and still have it at hand. I've even made a couple shots prone using the case as a front rest- works well for that too!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yep........Mostly run the Tactical Tailor Rig, with 5.11 Tactical pouch.

I just picked up new binoculars and have been searching around for a new chest harness to put them in. The one true chest pack I've seen is from Alaska Guide Creation (AGC). FHF, Kuiu, Eberlestock, and others have a small pocket or two but are really just bino pouches. The AGC CUB or Original seam to be about half bino pouch and half chest pack. The AGC website seems pretty lacking in detail of the various products and really only give you good pictures of the CUB with the buckle close option and without the basement. For some better pics go to Black Ovis or Elk101.

I think I'm going to give AGC a try. Just have to decide between the CUB or the KISS.

I received one of these http://www.ribzwear.com/ as a gift and thought the same as mtclimber. I was pleasantly surprised as I was using it for trapping. So much so I bought another to keep clean for wolf snaring. incredibly handy to have everything I need at my finger tips.

I have been running the Alaska Guide Creations bino chest pack since 2006, I did run the RIBZ pack for a couple years and do like it, but have changed back to the AGC pack since Jarret made the improvements and made one that would hold my larger binos. The RIBZ rig is great as a plane survival vest or while mountain biking.

Call Jarret at ACG and chat with him, he is old school and not very computer savvy. He does love talking hunting and optic, he very good at customer service. He has sent folks a couple so they can try and keep the one they like and send the others back.

My son using his AGC

Me in my new one. The regular size protects my EL 10x42s, camera, GPS, ammo, tags, bug dope, etc...

Last edited by stid2677; 10-27-2015 at 11:31.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow, great photos and responses. I'm going to try the AGC products.

Check out the "Kit Bags" by Hill People Gear. They are centered around hauling a sidearm, not binos, but the binos should fit in them and they are very versatile with attachment points on the outside of the bag for mounting knife sheaths, ammo sleeves, etc. They have "Lifter Straps" so you can dock it to your backpack. Just another option for you to consider.

Been using the Ribz pack for 4 years now. Started to use it for hiking/backpacking but now use it for hunting and fishing. Holds all the things I want and I don't have to dig into my pack to get. The newer ones have a better strap system then the one I have.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I ordered the recon pack from hillpeople website and it shipped within the hour!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flydaho View Post
    Check out the "Kit Bags" by Hill People Gear. They are centered around hauling a sidearm, not binos, but the binos should fit in them and they are very versatile with attachment points on the outside of the bag for mounting knife sheaths, ammo sleeves, etc. They have "Lifter Straps" so you can dock it to your backpack. Just another option for you to consider.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Me in my new one. The regular size protects my EL 10x42s, camera, GPS, ammo, tags, bug dope, etc...
    Which model do you have?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...1/Default.aspx
    i have one of these. Well built, kinda speedy, multiple color and size options, and good guys with which to do business
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Which model do you have?
    I have them all but the compact one. Been using them 10 years or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Founding Member

I have them all but the compact one. Been using them 10 years or so.

Ok then......which one do you like the most...???.....lol

The regular size, without the basement. Once the binos are in, the lower compartment is not very useful.

Founding Member

The regular size, without the basement. Once the binos are in, the lower compartment is not very useful.

You do know he has names for them now..... Two different Kodiak models, The Alaska Classic, and the Denali. http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/store/

My AGC pack arrived today, and the quality is top shelf. I feel like I got every good pack for the money. It shipped with-in hours, and arrived on the third day after the order was placed.

Question: On the top/lid is two elastic bands, what are they for...........??? Predator call.....maybe......???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast