Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage A17

Default Savage A17

Anybody bought one yet? Like it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yep, got one. Have a couple hundred rounds through it. Not a single jam or misfire. Accurate bunny buster for sure.

That's good to know. Can I ask what you had to give for it, and where did you buy it?

Cabelas, it was on sale... May have been $379. I do not recall for certain.

Kinda surprised nobody else has any comments about this rifle...??? Is it that it's a semi, a Savage, think it's ugly...???

Just curious...

I've been thinking about picking one up for my son... But he's a couple 3 years out from using it 😉. He's already got a win 70 in .06.

Default Savage A17

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Kinda surprised nobody else has any comments about this rifle...??? Is it that it's a semi, a Savage, think it's ugly...???

Just curious...
    I suspect many folks are "gun shy" about picking up a new rimfire that has limited ammo options in this day and age of generally scarce rimfire ammo.

Personally, minimum to moderate loads of heavier .223 in the AR has taken the place of anything I might use that A17 for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a17 ammo everywhere

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    shhhhh, that'll be our lil secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I've seen it every time I've been in sportsmans, but it's 6 boxes of one brand and type of ammo, hardly confidence inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking at one for Christmas gift for one of my sons. Should make for a fine sea otter gun.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I saw one at a Wal-mart on the east coast Saturday for $385.00. They only had one box of ammo for it at the time but said they usually got a couple boxes ammo for it every few days. I looked the riffle over and liked the feel of it but I do not need another riffle in this class. I went in looking for 22 caliber ammo or 17 HMR ammo and the clerk showed me the A17 riffle and ammo. The box of ammo he had was a 200 count box and I think it was about $50. I have several .22 caliber riffles and pistols and some 22 mag. guns as well. A 17 HMR and a little ammo for all of them. I just wish the ammo would free up a little so I could find some for my grandaughter to shoot when she gets a little older.

We have had a steady supply of 17 ammo in the Spfd., IL area non-stop. Of the half dozen stores I frequent it has been well stocked in each one of them, no shortage here on that caliber...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I would like to see the A17 in the 17WSM chambering.

Fondled an A17 the other day. I only have one other rifle with a synthetic stock so I think it's still a little hard for me to get used to.......especially one that light. They just seem chincy. I don't know..... I think I'm torn between it and a 22 mag. But may even go bigger now thinking about coyotes and wolves....

fwiw.... I have killed coyotes with 22 lr and 22 Mag.... 22 Mag is clearly superior. My guess is the A17 is better than the 22lr but not nearly as good on coyotes as the 22mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    fwiw.... I have killed coyotes with 22 lr and 22 Mag.... 22 Mag is clearly superior. My guess is the A17 is better than the 22lr but not nearly as good on coyotes as the 22mag.
    Oh no doubt. Am now just thinking about reaching out a bit further with a little more gusto.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Wallet View Post
    I have no personal experience killing with the 17HMR and having killed a lot with 22 mag I would think the very same thing. However I know the USDS-WS in Alaska have switched to 17HMR saying it is a better killer, as these folks are critter killing full time year round and have this conscience of opinion among them I now very much question my preconceived notions about 22 vs 17.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I have no personal experience killing with the 17HMR and having killed a lot with 22 mag I would think the very same thing. However I know the USDS-WS in Alaska have switched to 17HMR saying it is a better killer, as these folks are critter killing full time year round and have this conscience of opinion among them I now very much question my preconceived notions about 22 vs 17.
    Well, I sure would not have thought that but you may well be right. Wonder if I can call in a coyote and do a field test.

Won one of these at the DU event last month. Took it out to the range and put ~100 rounds of the stock .17 hmr loads (cci). Shot great. No issues what so ever. I'm using the stock scope that came with it, happy with it so far. After sighting it in I was shooting groups the size of a quarter at 100yds easily and pretty consistently. Just bought a few boxes of the hotter cci a17 ammo I'm itching to try out. I'll report back when I do. The only kinda complaint I have id the rounds can be somewhat difficult to load into the magazine. It feels like the shoulders may be nicking the plastic as I feed them into the magazine. Nothing major though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast