Thread: fly fishing kodiak road system

Default fly fishing kodiak road system

Hi forum.
    Headed to Kodiak on the 1st of november for three days with my wife. She's never been there so we're taking the ferry from Homer with my truck. Looking to explore and maybe do some fly fishing while we are there. Does anyone know of a decent river that we could access from the road? Just looking for some dollies or steelhead. Any advice would be greatly apriceated.

road system [not a large system] there most of the fishing in the streams are salmon streams , as I know , the stream in town could have some char, in fact most of the streams will have some char, carry bear spray you will never know where you will find them SID

You might grab a copy of Bernard Rosenburg's "Kodiak Fishing at Any Angle". It's out of print now, but we have a few left in the store (at a discount, too!). He does a decent job of discussing the roadside streams on Kodiak Island. You can order it AT THIS LINK ($17.95). We can get it out to you right away.

You might also check Amazon for a copy of Rene Limeres / Gunnar Pedersen's "Alaska Fishing". It's out of print too, but by far the best book on fishing up here. They deal with the roadside streams on Kodiak as well, along with recommended terminal gear and such.

Finally, there might be some helpful info on our Kodiak page AT THIS LINK.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

(edited)

From the river by the airport headed out of town you will cross several good rivers at all the heads of the bay's. Dollie Varden will be in every river/stream you cross. There are still gonna be silvers in the major rivers and some bright ones still as well. Only river with steelies is next to the airport. Bear season will be open so little chance of seeing a bear but possible.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 10-26-2015 at 15:56. Reason: personal comment

Dolly fishing out there is fantastic, and as the previous poster indicated, they're in just about every stream. If the water is low, they will be pretty skittish though. I was there a couple of summers ago and that's what we ran into on the Olds River; lots of Dollies, but hard to catch. We would have had better luck in early morning or late evening (just about the time the bears are out).

Our best freshwater fishing out there by far was an ATV trip we took over to Saltery River. Loaded with dollies and reds. If you have a machine, consider bringing it along. Either that or hire one of the local ATV outfits. Well worth the trip. The Saltery is shallow enough that you can wade it in many places.

Here's a video I put together of our trip, maybe it will help. A lot of the underwater shots with the dollies were taken on the Saltery River. I tell ya... most of those holes were carpeted with fifty or more dollies each. Amazing.

-Mike

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Lots of water in the rivers right now, we're having some rain and winds that would send the Floridians running for Alabama right now. Dollie fishing has been, well, it's not fishing, it's catching. Lots of silvers, still pulling more fish with scales falling off and sealice hanging on than darkies. Have been pulling some sweet rainbows as of late as well and a few steelies should be sneaking around. Eggs patterns have been the ticket, I've been drifting spawn bags on the pin and trailering it with a hot pink/chrise glowbug for sivlers or fishing small single eggs or beads we targeting dollies and bows. 50 dollies to everybow, but the bows are beautiful. Nov 1st becomes single hook no bait so you'll be fine with the fly rods. I'll have to put the bait away and go to just floating singles. hit me up, I'll be off duty that week and possibly able to fish in the afternoons.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Lots of water in the rivers right now, we're having some rain and winds that would send the Floridians running for Alabama right now. Dollie fishing has been, well, it's not fishing, it's catching. Lots of silvers, still pulling more fish with scales falling off and sealice hanging on than darkies. Have been pulling some sweet rainbows as of late as well and a few steelies should be sneaking around. Eggs patterns have been the ticket, I've been drifting spawn bags on the pin and trailering it with a hot pink/chrise glowbug for sivlers or fishing small single eggs or beads we targeting dollies and bows. 50 dollies to everybow, but the bows are beautiful. Nov 1st becomes single hook no bait so you'll be fine with the fly rods. I'll have to put the bait away and go to just floating singles. hit me up, I'll be off duty that week and possibly able to fish in the afternoons.
    If you get the chance to fish with Abel, GRAB IT!

The guy knows his stuff. He took us out for lingcod on the video I posted. Straight shooter, and very competent.

-Mike

Thanks for that Mike....As for water in the rivers.....Holy crap, we has some roads washing out near Chiniak again, Bells Flats areas were flooded again, we jsut caught up from all the rain we missed this past summer/early fall in 2 days.... All those stinky pinks are washed out now, should have moved fish around and get them on a little better bite by the time you're here as teh water should drop to what I call Steelie Green...
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Awesome thanks for all the replies and great advice. I'll post the happy results next week :-)