Thread: Small Atv Opinions Needed

Default Small Atv Opinions Needed

I have been thinking about picking up a Small/Lite 4x4 ATV that I can haul in my boat or easily throw out of a mud hole if need be.

Enough power to haul an adult and trailer in low gear.
    Does not have to be comfortable or fast, only dependable.

Anybody have any suggestions???

Sorry, I thought you were looking for small opinions of ATV's. I was about to give you one, but hold it for now.

Uncomfortable, slow and dependable. There's only one atv maker that's mastered all 3 of these.

Honda Rancher................
    They now have a 420 fuel injected engine. Honda is known for being dependable. They are not the fastest and the swingarm rear axle is not known for being the most comfortabble but the machine is very capable.
    Dave

Default Rokon

You might look into a Rokon 2x2. The newer ones are four strokes. They are light, dependable, will tow or carry a lot of weight. They are also slow and have no suspension except for soft tires. You can get more info online at Bob Gallagher's Rokon World. Good luck with your search.

I would look at the 250-300 cc's older Polaris's that were two strokes and had chain drive. Probably the lightest 4 wheel drives on the market.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up

I've got an old (1992) Honda Fourtrax 300 which fits the bill (not for sale though). Plenty of power, full time 4wd, light enough to throw around, and tows a meat trailer nicely.

The other choice would be a Suzuki LT250 or a King Quad 300. These have full independent suspension as well as diff lock. You should be able to find a killer deal on an older machine like these if you look around a bit.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I bought a 2001 Yamaha Wolverine for my wife back in 2002. The reason why I bough it was because at least back then it was a very light 4x4 ATV. In fact, it didn't even come with a skid plate, so I bought an aluminum skid plate for it to keep the weight down and still have protection for the bottom of the motor. I noticed that the new automatic transmission Wolverine ATV's weight 516 pounds, which is much more weight than the older machines with a foot shifter.

I inherited a Yamaha Timberwolf from a friend when he moved. It's been a treat to own. It doesn't have the grunt of the big 4-wheelers but it gets itself around very respectably and is a blast to ride. It's ridden in my jon boat several times.

I owned a 95 polaris 300 and it was not light at all when compared to the suzuki 300 and definately heavier then the small fourtrax my father in law has been riding since the early 90's. The early polaris also had problems with the magnetic hub locks for the 4x4 ours would always end up in three wheel drive constantly. I would go with one of the old red machines either the quadrunner or fourtrax from the mid 90's manual trans seem to be much lighter.

I've used quite abit of the big bores and that is a good thing but for hauling in your boat and such I have found that little Honda Recon 250 to do the job - you don't need to go thru the swamp or clear large obstacles, there is another way for sure. A good little runner.