Thread: 210 pounds of pork

Default 210 pounds of pork

Raised a hog this year and made a expensive mistake in what to feed him so short story i have 210 pounds of pork i cant eat that i put a lot of money into feed and process need it out of my freezer but would like to get something out of it so its not a total loss.
    Thanks

Didn't feed it salmon, did ya? That's been done before.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lol, no salmon, found out brocolli is a big no no, he would'nt touch it so wife steamed it mashed it an mixed with food, lesson learned!!

I've never heard that you shouldn't feed broccoli to hogs. As far as I know, any/all vegetables are fair game. What's your info; what's the issue with the final product?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Hogs wont touch it we got left over produce from local grocery store, its a strong armpit smell thats in the fat, smells fine till you ad sling on on a hot pan. Its not bore taint as our hog was cut, the meat was very well taken care of and didnt spoil or anything like that. Its in the fat, had tustem. Smokehouse do bacon an ham that make you drool just lookin at it but once the fat gets hot its stinky

That's a bummer, sorry to hear it.
    #Resist

Ya one of those life lessons

How did you finish feed the pig before slaughter?

My dad raised hogs in the south when he was a kid up to joining the navy to escape servitude to his uncles. As a kid we only did pigs one season. At the end Dad said he had forgotten what a pain they were and we would not be raising any more. We fed them the same waste vegetables from the local store. Mostly leaf stock as it went bad first. But there was broccoli and Brussels sprouts in those boxes. We finished the pigs off for two months on molasses and rolled oats with little vegetation other than lettuce and cabbage. Dad said you had to finish the pigs off or they will taste like mud or the filth they live in. Makes me wonder how wild pig tastes.

Back in the lower 48, some friends of mine were going to college. A local farmer had a deal on geese. They went and filled the trunk up.. a deal they couldn't look past. They took them home, slaughtered them, plucked them, and processed the meats. Said you could cook them in the oven on a board ... then prefer to eat the board. Farmer raised them on a mint farm. Geese roamed the fields for bugs and were a bit "gamey". Made a bunch of pillows.

Yes, critters develop character of what they eat, and a reason kobe beef is in high demand. Same goes for fish, chicken, varietal honeys, .... And everytime I pull the trigger, I hope the bear had a sweet tooth and stayed away from the fiddleheads.

My Dad always said no veggies with strong odors to include cabbage.

We use to finish our hogs in the fall, back east, on wild apples, when I was growing up. As kids we would pick 55 gallon drums full of apples that had ripened and fallen from the tree. They would be a little fermented. Hogs would stagger around for half a day. I remember the ham and bacon being some of the best tasting meat ever. Makes my mouth water even as I am typing this out.