Thread: Crooked Creek (Kenai Peninsula)

Default Crooked Creek (Kenai Peninsula)

Anyone out there floated Crooked Creek from the highway to the Kasilof confluence? If so, what can you tell me about the float? Challenges? Camping options? Fishing quality?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I used to fish for Steelhead there every spring. I've walked up and down, but never floated it. What I remember of the river is that it is small and shallow with deep pools on the bends. It would probably be more of a drag than a float. When the hatchery was raising Steelies it sure was a fun fishery. Please take my limited knowledge with a grain of salt. I have not fished Crooked Creek in a long time.

Its too small and shallow to float. In most places its only a step or 3 to get across it and 8 inches deep except a few small holes. Just camp at the state campground. I have never caught anything but pinks and dollies, heard of a few silvers but never caught or seen one. There are way better places to fish than there.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    I used to fish for Steelhead there every spring. I've walked up and down, but never floated it. What I remember of the river is that it is small and shallow with deep pools on the bends. It would probably be more of a drag than a float. When the hatchery was raising Steelies it sure was a fun fishery. Please take my limited knowledge with a grain of salt. I have not fished Crooked Creek in a long time.
    ^^^^This. It's probably been over 20 years since I fished Crooked Creek, but I used to do it every spring and it was a wonderful little fishery. Actually, I just went and dug up an old photo, and it looks like it was 23 years ago the last time I fished it. Man, that brings back some good memories. It could probably be floated in one of the new little pack rafts that are out these days but, probably really wouldn't be worth your time.
    Now after looking at this picture, it got me thinking, daaamn 23 years, and I haven't aged a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Greg, will you stop with the fake pictures. That's not you. That's the guy who pitched for the Mets last night.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

All right, the gig is up. But you gotta admit, I'm a Photoshopping machine.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    ^^^^This. It's probably been over 20 years since I fished Crooked Creek, but I used to do it every spring and it was a wonderful little fishery. Actually, I just went and dug up an old photo, and it looks like it was 23 years ago the last time I fished it. Man, that brings back some good memories. It could probably be floated in one of the new little pack rafts that are out these days but, probably really wouldn't be worth your time.
    Now after looking at this picture, it got me thinking, daaamn 23 years, and I haven't aged a bit.

Way to rock the mullet!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have to rep you for the mullet!!! Even if you're a 49ers fan
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

You guy's are killin' me. I'll take the rep point but I don't think I deserve it. I think the definition of a mullet is, all business up front, party in the back. If my cap would've been off, you could've seen that that hairdo was all party, baby!!

there is still good fishing in the creek , it is small, you can walk it, you will get some fish an a few good ones at that , don't let people on this
    forum tell you anything else, follow the regs SID

You guy's are killin' me. I'll take the rep point but I don't think I deserve it. I think the definition of a mullet is, all business up front, party in the back. If my cap would've been off, you could've seen that that hairdo was all party, baby!!

I had a feelin' that was all hair under that hat and not just the back....... Oh and "Go Niners...!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    there is still good fishing in the creek , it is small, you can walk it, you will get some fish an a few good ones at that , don't let people on this
    forum tell you anything else, follow the regs SID

And Sid.......don't be sendin' nobody down here to our lousy little creek..........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I had a feelin' that was all hair under that hat and not just the back....... Oh and "Go Niners...!!!"
    Thank you sir. And for that you get a rep point!