Thread: Zachar Bay Bears

Default Zachar Bay Bears

Hey guys, headed to Zachar Bay next week for bear and deer! Just wondering if any of you have hunted this area before and if you have any tips/advice. We're getting flown in and will be staying in tents for the hunt. Just curious on terrain, animal populations, etc. Thanks in advance!

It has been a long time since I hunted the bay so I can't comment on the population of the animals.
    I can tell you that you need to be in good shape as the terrain is very steep. There were a lot of deer that would come down at night and feed on the beach and then go back up top in the morning. If you go over the top you can find a few bowls up there and some times the deer are grazing like cattle.
    We did have problems with the bears coming to the guns shots at times so it's a good idea to move out ASAP.
    I would suggest that you keep a very clean camp and put up an electric fence around your tents.
    The ducks should be starting to show up where the river dumps in so you might take a shotgun.
    This time of the year you can get that horizontal rain so be prepared.
    Good luck
    RD

I've seen over 200 deer in the spring at the head of the bay. hunt the Bears up the river. lots of denning sites on the right side going up river. You;ll be early for that but you might find them along the river. good advice for the Bear fence.

If space allows on your flight an inflatable craft would open up a lot more area to hunt. The brush there can be extremely miserable to maneuver through.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Thanks for the info, guys! We will have a bear fence and an inflatable along on the trip. I'll hopefully post some pics and a report when we return. Thanks again and if you think of anthing else to add, feel free!

youcheck with the lodge there? prob got good info too

Moosehunter83, how did the Zachar Bay hunt go?

RD

It went pretty good! Had a good time, we ended up getting a bear and three deer. It was thick country like you guys had said. We could've got more deer but were trying to be a little selective as the freezer is already full. Weather was what you would expect from Kodiak in the fall. Had some good days and some were just downright nasty, wind and rain. Good trip overall and can't wait to go back!

Hey moosehunter, any chance you can post a picture and a little story /

Quote Originally Posted by moosehunter83 View Post
    It went pretty good! Had a good time, we ended up getting a bear and three deer. It was thick country like you guys had said. We could've got more deer but were trying to be a little selective as the freezer is already full. Weather was what you would expect from Kodiak in the fall. Had some good days and some were just downright nasty, wind and rain. Good trip overall and can't wait to go back!
    Ah cmon! Pics or it didn't happen