Thread: Devlin Bluebill owners?

Default Devlin Bluebill owners?

I recently bumped into a couple Devlin Bluebill owners/builders near Palmer. One guy had his wife with him and the other had his dog. I've been looking at Devlin's designs for a few years and have settled on the Bluebill. I'm just looking to pick their brains a little and get any advice they have to offer. Anyone know how to contact these guys?

John

You probably ran into DALLEN. Find one of his posts on here and send him a PM.

I built a Black Brant 3 which is a much larger version of the blue bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowburns View Post
    I recently bumped into a couple Devlin Bluebill owners/builders near Palmer. One guy had his wife with him and the other had his dog. I've been looking at Devlin's designs for a few years and have settled on the Bluebill. I'm just looking to pick their brains a little and get any advice they have to offer. Anyone know how to contact these guys?

John
    Yes, that was me there. What do you want to know?

Hey thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you used anything like graphite or UHMW on the bottom, as well as what source you found best for plywood. In the plans Devlin mentions wholesale discounts for his customers through certain companies - any experience with these and shipping to Alaska? I remember you guys were running long tail motors, does this boat perform better with a long tail over a standard outboard? And finally, what did you do inside for decking/bilge? Thanks again for the reply, I certainly appreciate it.

We used okoume plywood. We got it from a custom cabinet maker in anchorage. I don't remember the name. It wasn't too expensive, but don't remember the costs. We both used system 3 epoxy, but any good marine resin will do. Plaschem is a good local supplier. We use long tails due to the water we run with these. Outboards will push faster, but the mm's will run shallower. Inside decking? The floor....is made of marine plywood from lowes or Home Depot, coated with epoxy. Has pieces of army poly pads glued to the floor board. We did use a strip oh UHMW on the keel of the boat, but that was it.

Okoume can be ordered from Hardware Specialties in Anchorage. They get about one flat of wood a week so you won't have to wait long. You can also order solid wood for the gunnels in longer lengths so you don't have to scarf them.
    Plaschem has moved to Wasilla and you can buy your expanding foam there as well. Fiberlay has a store in anchorage but I have yet to check them out.
    The cheapest epoxy is RAKA through their website. Even with shipping you will be money ahead over WEST. It's a little more forgiving on cure time as well.
    The way the marshes have been the last several years a mud motor is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk