Thread: Ultralight Kings plus some underwater strikes on video. Homer, AK

Default Ultralight Kings plus some underwater strikes on video. Homer, AK

Took a day off and fished Friday in Homer.

Fishing was good though I didn't catch any really large fish. I would say they averaged about ten pounds.

First two fish I caught on conventional gear. Then I switched over to an ultralight rod, my GLoomis 4'6" rated for 1-4lbs test line though I did use 20lbs braid. I can't see well enough to tie knots on anything thinner. lol.

I also mounted a gopro to my down rigger ball. Lighting was bad as well as the water having a little murkiness to it. Not anywhere near as clear as I wanted it but we will see. The fish don't seem too camera shy. This was with the baits running about 8 ft back of the ball.

2 for 3 on the conventional gear. 4 for 5 using the ultralight. Kept 4 with my dad's proxy fishing for 3 hours. Red label herring seemed to work. Did not use a flasher when I used the ultralight.

https://youtu.be/g1PHeO2wUDQ

Now THAT'S puttin' that rod to the test...!!!

Still nice fish Rudy.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice, Rudy! I'm gonna come join u before the winter is over. I'll give you a heads up when I'm ready to give it a try again. I have a few other priorities now but am looking forward to fishing down this way w you again. Cheers, and keep it up.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I still haven't winterized my boat just for that reason. I'd love to just go down there and follow him around...!!!.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Went out Sunday. Ran into two folks on sit on top kayaks. Saw another gal fishing out of a sit inside kayak.

It was slower than Friday but as the tide started to fall the bite turned on a little bit. For the first time, I saw sand lances inside the stomach.

I only got one of the strikes on video. I need to compensate for the heavier "lift" the thicker rod creates on the weight angle. The only underwater strike was pretty cool. Murky, but the speed is amazing. It's like it's sped up which it is not. I thought it was multiple fish but I don't think it is. It cost me the tip of my ultralight rod. My stupid mistake. All I had to do was put the rod down facing the other way. Oh well, my 4/6? rod is now a 4'2" rod. Argh.

The fish seemed livelier today they were ripping around everywhere.

So here's the video for posterity's sake. For clarification, I am fishing a proxy for my father.

https://youtu.be/nT0Y1dSZhlQ

I really enjoy all your videos. I must say however, the way you keep your cool on that kayak and so easily guide the fish into the net is absolute magic in my mind. I fall all over the stream bank trying to get them in a net. LOL! You sir are a fishing machine!

Quote Originally Posted by NYHillbilly View Post
    I really enjoy all your videos. I must say however, the way you keep your cool on that kayak and so easily guide the fish into the net is absolute magic in my mind. I fall all over the stream bank trying to get them in a net. LOL! You sir are a fishing machine!
    Thanks! But I admit I did chuckle a bit. My obsession and living where I do, does allow me to catch a lot of fish. But ya gotta LOVE the magic of video and sound editing! Haha. But thank you. I give 49% of the credit to my kayak and the other 51% to my father and assorted friends who taught me to fish. I know it must not seem like it, but it is MUCH easier to fight and a land a fish from a kayak than a powerboat or on shore where you are relatively anchored in place. I take my ten year old son out so you know anyone can do it. I just got him a net and he was able to net his first king salmon several weeks ago though it was small.

I'm glad you enjoy the videos and I hope there are many more to come!

You are welcome. I'll watch for the new ones. I've been living here for a year now on the Peninsula, perhaps in time I'll muster the courage to try. : 0

Quote Originally Posted by NYHillbilly View Post
    You are welcome. I'll watch for the new ones. I've been living here for a year now on the Peninsula, perhaps in time I'll muster the courage to try. : 0
    Stay in touch. I am down there all the time. Parents live in kenai Every other weekend I typically carry a spare kayak. Winter can be a tad rough and unproductive though fish are there. If you are trying to set up for an attempt, the best fishing is in May. Shallow water halibut and kings. Let's fish!