Thread: Who's going out this weekend?

Default Who's going out this weekend?

Who's going out? What's going on? Birds moving through? Pretty slow in my blind tonight so I thought I'd post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the birds were here as of last weekend. heading out tomorrow. not sure what to expect.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Totally dead evening in ACWR. Not one bird seen in 3 hrs

I had back to back zeros south of Anchorage Wednesday & Friday. Very few birds in the area.

not out, but my experience is that late oct the birds head south even if still open water and warm days. if we do get some cold, and ice, the unfrozen areas of the ice will concentrate the birds and one can do very well until it all gets covered, good luck. Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks for the positive vibes blackdawg

I've only been casually watching the weather in western Alaska. It does not seem as if everything has frozen up yet. But I agree with akblackdog. The first half of October is generally better for me than the second half. A few south central birds in November are a rarity.

Anyone going out tomorrow morning or this week? I was thinking of walking out PHF from the CWC side. Im hoping to find someone who might let me and my lab tag along or anyone that wants to go. Last time i was out there with a couple buddies and we drove several miles out on 4 wheelers, not sure i am that familiar with the area anymore but im going regardless. I dont think ive seen much for northern birds around yet, maybe well get lucky. Any thoughts on the northern birds this year? Did they already blow past us?

I do have decoys and an extra shotgun if there is any takers. It seems duck hunters up here are far and few between! That or nobody i know anymore enjoys waking up early to go sit in the rain or snow, hoping for wind and fog when its wet and cold out...

We are at the tail end of the season. There are fewer birds around each day. Use your trip out to the Hayflats to scout for next season. Who knows, maybe you'll find a bird or two.

Post a report after you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by AKKOMMERSPECIAL View Post
    Anyone going out tomorrow morning or this week? I was thinking of walking out PHF from the CWC side. Im hoping to find someone who might let me and my lab tag along or anyone that wants to go. Last time i was out there with a couple buddies and we drove several miles out on 4 wheelers, not sure i am that familiar with the area anymore but im going regardless. I dont think ive seen much for northern birds around yet, maybe well get lucky. Any thoughts on the northern birds this year? Did they already blow past us?
    some of the regulars did quite well even a week or so ago, this was a good year, but you really have to hunt enough to know the area and be out often, lots of limits. Join AWA (alaska waterfowl association) and meet some of the guys who hunt often, look on facebook at the Alaska duckhunters page, and you will learn a lot. But this season is pretty close to be over unless you want to walk the creeks and break ice looking for a few of the residents who don't go south. Bud
    Wasilla

Northern birds have been around for a month. One of the best prolonged mallard years in years. They are still around, although as Bud said..they fly south and most have already left. The next two weeks will be tough and then it will ice up. Everyone moves to the rivers or salt after that. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKKOMMERSPECIAL View Post
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.