Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Do The Caribou Travel By Cantwell?

Default When Do The Caribou Travel By Cantwell?

Can anyone tell me via Private Message when the caribou travel near Cantwell? All I need to know is at least the time of the year and what would be even more helpful is if someone could point me in the direction of where they seen them before in the area.

What do you mean by near Cantwell? For about 20 miles north/south and east of Cantwell is AHTNA land except for a few small parcels and corridors.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

September 3. Without a doubt, if you park your truck by the big spruce tree at 10:00am on September 3, you will definitely get a 50-point caribou.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Cantwell is surrounded by Ahtna land. You can pay a $100 tax for parking a walking across the property to gain access to public land.

As for the caribou, when I draw for this area I go hunting in late August behind the Gracious House. Usually a few miles back in along the designated trail. You can see the trail on Google Earth. There are lots of road hunters along the Denali Highway.

Hope this helps. You might need to be a little more specific when asking about 'Cantwell'. Cantwell sits where McKinley Park and a few hunting units join together. Its the border.

There are always caribou around Cantwell, access is the hard part.

Based on your posts you may not have moved up here until 8/26/2015. If that's the case you will not be illegible to apply for any caribou tags in Unit 13 until fall of 2017 as they are for residents only. You can apply for a 20A drawing tag this winter as it is open to residents and non residents. If you started to establish residency prior to 8/10/2015 you can apply for Unit 13 permits this winter and hunt next fall as a resident. The federal subsistence program may be open to you in Cantwell. Contact the BLM or USFWS.

As for where they are around Cantwell, all over when ever they want to be. The worse place to find one is on the highway under your truck wrapped around the rear axle, or in your radiator, which is a pretty expensive place to find one.

Wait, your location says 'Cantwell, AK', why the heck are you asking us?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Wait, your location says 'Cantwell, AK', why the heck are you asking us?
    That is a good question. Reason why I had to go look at his posts and learned he just moved up here a few months ago and knows nothing. Does not appear to have read the regulations yet.

Start with the hunting regulations, then talk to the Area Biologist. Actually, a read through our Alaska Hunt Planning section would be a great start.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Okay let me explain further I just moved to Cantwell and moved in with a friend. I know "Cantwell Area" was a broad statement. And I also know that I am surrounded by native land. My question is referring to the fact that I am new here and my friend has lived here for 2 years and has his subsistence permit for caribou and has never hunted them before around here. He knew I had a forum account and wanted me to ask you guys if you have ever seen any caribou nearby so he can hopefully learn about there movement around the park and where they could "possibly" be located at this time of the year since we are getting towards winter and they are certainly not in the higher elevations. Although I loved your sarcastic comments posted above stephenataks info has lead my friend to a possible location. Thank You All And Happy Hunting!!!

If you are following stephenatak's advice and telling your friend to go behind Gracious House with a subsistence tier II caribou tag, you can tell your friend to be prepared to go to court.

Why not read the annual Unit 13 caribou thread? Its filled with tons of data. Including the most current info on where the critters are based on sightings. That is the entire point of that thread every year.

You were given great advice for August hunting. Too bad its October.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    If you are following stephenatak's advice and telling your friend to go behind Gracious House with a subsistence tier II caribou tag, you can tell your friend to be prepared to go to court.
    ??? What is up with that area.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    ??? What is up with that area.
    It's nowhere near the Federal hunting areas, which is the only remaining 'subsistence' permit for caribou in unit 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Why not read the annual Unit 13 caribou thread? Its filled with tons of data. Including the most current info on where the critters are based on sightings. That is the entire point of that thread every year.
    That's why it's called the 'Official' thread. This years thread is even relatively free of Yeti jokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yeti is not a joke...jus sayin. :-)

They don't travel by, they're either there or no. No migrating

As and FYI Ahtna does not allow trespass during hunting season any more, Aug 10 -Sept 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    They don't travel by, they're either there or no. No migrating.
    So, if they're not there...is it because they went somewhere else...without migrating?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So, if they're not there...is it because they went somewhere else...without migrating?
    That's kinda what I was wondering too.... Exactly how does a nomadic animal get from one place to another without "migrating"...???

But now that I think about it, maybe a few hundred miles could just be their home range, and if they move they are just "wandering about" their home....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's kinda what I was wondering too.... Exactly how does a nomadic animal get from one place to another without "migrating"...???

But now that I think about it, maybe a few hundred miles could just be their home range, and if they move they are just "wandering about" their home....
    Yeah, I was just poking a little fun. I think we all understand the Denali Herd, like every other herd in AK, has an established general home range within which they migrate seasonally. http://www.nps.gov/articles/denali-caribou-herd.htm

The are also known to migrate well outside that home range when environmental conditions compel them. http://alaska.usgs.gov/products/pubs/2005/2005_Roffler_Rangifer_16.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast