Thread: Judging Goats

Default Judging Goats

Wanting to ask for some helpful tips on judging goats horn length. I will be going after one this fall. Thanks

I think lots of folks will try to use ears and face as a judge to how long the horns are,the real trophy is the hide,who is going to tell the differents between a 8'' billy or a 9 1/2 when it's on the wall,there all going to comment on the hide....ps. just make sure you know it's a billy before you shoot,watch it urinate,look for the black glad behind the horn if possible,large front shoulders.fish and game has a pretty good idenification chart.....more then likely you already know all this, but maybe someone else out there could use a helping hand...good luck

Here is what ADF&G has to say about judging Mountain Goats. There's lots more info here.

I think it's more important to be sure it's a billy and not a long horned nanny. Look for mass at the bases, look for the glad behing the base and look for a horn with a long sweeping curve to it rather than an abrupt curve in the upper 3/4 of its length. As for whether it's a big billy or not, get out and look at as many as possible before the season. Big goats just make me say "Holy #@%& that's a big goat!" when I see them. You may not know exactly how to judge them but with a little experience, you'll know a big one when you see it.

There is a great little old book by Duncan Gilchrist titled - Trophy Rams of the Brooks Range Plus secrets of a Sheep and Mountain Goat Guide. I got it at the library and am reading it again.

He has some info that might be usefull to you plus he has some great hunting stories.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

If the tops lay flat and point back, give him the smack!

like posted above, big goats are big goats and there is little questions, but mid range goats in the eight in area or around there get tough. mass/bases is probably the easiest way to tell, nanny horns don't taper down much from the base, all about the size of your thumb, billy hornes taper pretty quick int eh first three to four inches and slow from there. i'd avoid going by the curve, had that happen before and shot a decent nanny who had the billy curve, thats a general rule.
    most billys won't be with the nannies as much, they will at times, but if there are only two or three together and all look like mature goats, high chance they are billies.
    but horn mass for me is the ticket and if they are humping, go with the goat on top.
    good luck!

Thumbs up Thanks for the tips

Can't wait to put the tips to use this fall!!!

Default Billy

BEAR 74:

I have killed 2 billies in Washington. If you look at enough goats, you will know a mature billy when you see one. They are bigger, and most of the time, they are not with the herd. Spend time looking thru you optics, and get a good look at his bases, especially when he lowers his head. You will see the mass. Be carefull with your shot placement. Pound for pound, I believe there is no tougher animal then a mtn goat. I doubled lunged a billy, and found him 3 hours later. He took off with the herd, and rolled down a steep slide a 1/2 mile away. There is nothing like goat hunting. Have a good time, and be carefull in the steep stuff. The toughest part of goat hunting is getting to a place where you can can get a shot off without getting yourself killed!

Default Ak Steve

If you have never hunted goats be sure to get out and spend some time watching them.
    My guess is that the consenus would be along the lines of any billy being a trophy. They live in some sick places

Where do you live? If you're in Southcentral, I'd be happy to point you towards some areas where you can hike/climb for the day and spend some time watching goats up close. It would be good training both physically and in judging goats. Heck, you could even take a bunch of digital pictures and post them here to get some more feedback. Let me know if you're interested.

-Brian

B_M,

I live in Wasilla and would be interested in hiking into some goat country if you have suggestions. I took some photos of goats in th East Eklutna area a few years back that turned out pretty good. The best way I know of getting in shape for sheep season is hiking into the high mountains and taking photos is a bonus.

-Carnivore