Thread: Tips for judging a mature boar?

Default Tips for judging a mature boar?

Hey guys
    I'm going on my first brown bear hunt next week. I'm hoping to get some useful tips on judging a trophy bear.
    I don't want to experience the whole ground shrinkage thing.
    At this point having never killed a brown bear it is more important for me to have a quality (fun) hunt as apposed to a successful hunt. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get there, but I'm a patient hunter.
    What makes a bear in your mind over 9'?
    Everyone tells me that I'll know it when I see him.
    I just really want to avoid taking a young bear.

Thanks in advance for you knowledge

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch this video..."Take a Closer Look"

The smaller the ears look in relation to their head, the bigger they are.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Four foot at the hump or better
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

if the head looks big on the body, don't shoot it. long legs, lots of distance between the front and back legs, LONG neck, small head, ears far apart are all good signs of a mature bear. belly dragging dont' mean anything other than a fat bear. Some times depending on what your seeing you can almost judge a bear by the time of day. young immature bears tend to be more active during the mid day hours to avoid contact with more mature dominate bears. I like to hunt bears that are usually early morning movers and sleep during the day kinda bears. This is mostly just coastal bear activity where bear numbers are concentrated to where they interact more with each other or share a food source. 9' is just a number and theres alot of different size 9' bears. maybe go for a medium or large bear and don't get hung up on a footage number. have fun! where are you headed? you have a draw tag on kodiak?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Personally the first thing I look for is shoulder mass. As BRWNBR says, if the head looks real big, it's because he hasn't been alive long enough to grow big muscles around that head. Don't get me wrong tho, big bears do have big heads, but if the head is wider than it's shoulders then he's probably not that big of a bear. Big bears have big shoulders, and if you are looking at one coming straight at you, if the shoulders are wider than it's head then he's getting to be a pretty big bear.

Also.... When looking at the bear broadside, if you can fit 5 head lengths into the length of the body, then he's a real good bear....

Think about how the bear walks. Younger bears tend to move about a lot more, almost skittishly so to speak....here and there. Older bears are more deliberate when they walk. Like they have a purpose or something...point A to point B, almost looking like they don't want to expel any more energy than they need to.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    if the head looks big on the body, don't shoot it. long legs, lots of distance between the front and back legs, LONG neck, small head, ears far apart are all good signs of a mature bear. belly dragging dont' mean anything other than a fat bear. Some times depending on what your seeing you can almost judge a bear by the time of day. young immature bears tend to be more active during the mid day hours to avoid contact with more mature dominate bears. I like to hunt bears that are usually early morning movers and sleep during the day kinda bears. This is mostly just coastal bear activity where bear numbers are concentrated to where they interact more with each other or share a food source. 9' is just a number and theres alot of different size 9' bears. maybe go for a medium or large bear and don't get hung up on a footage number. have fun! where are you headed? you have a draw tag on kodiak?
    I'm floating the karluk River

Thanks for the knowledge gentleman!

Small looking ears low on the head
    Top of the head looks flat
    Plus everything else that's been said

I'm sure you're aware, but I believe the entire river is surrounded by private native land

Good luck, I'd like to hear how it goes!

Ears on the head is a good way to tell from a distance with a spotting scope. Long ears equate to a smaller bear. All the things everyone said is true but I would just like to add one thing. Think of it kind of like looking at a big dog. You've probably seen lots of labs before. But when you see a big mature male you can just tell. They are very muscular. They're heads are big and blocky. Their body is just massive in comparison to a normal lab that is short and skinny. Think of a big boar in the same way. When you see one that is just massive and muscular with a big blocky head and little ears compared to the rest of his head you will know it. The smaller bears just kind of look like cuddly fur balls in comparison. I know that isn't a textbook definition, but that is the way I can tell a big bear from a little one. Just my .02 cents.

That being said, I would encourage you to not only look for a big bear when looking for a trophy bear. In my opinion "size doesn't always matter" when judging bears. A lot of big bruisers will be rubbed and will have scars from battles with other big boars. I have a beautiful toklat grizzly hanging on my wall at home that I shot because the fur is very luxurious and beautiful with blonde along the back and dark chocolate legs. I've seen a lot of big bear hides that were bigger than 9 foot that were all raggedy and unimpressive in my opinion. I'm sure there will be some good ones out there but you might have to be a little picky to find the right one. The other thing you have to consider is where to hang the bear hide inside your house. In order to hang a bear bigger than 8 foot you will have to have bigger than 8 foot walls and 8 foot is the standard height in most houses.

FYI, an eight foot bear will be 8 foot from the tip of the nose to the tail and 8 foot from the front foot to the other front foot. They are as wide as they are tall. Just something to consider when planning where you intend to hang your bear hide.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Small looking ears low on the head
    Top of the head looks flat
    Plus everything else that's been said

I'm sure you're aware, but I believe the entire river is surrounded by private native land

Good luck, I'd like to hear how it goes!
    Oh I'm well aware lol

Thanks for the link to the video. Watched it yesterday.

8-9 ft. I would betAttachment 87259