Thread: Plane crash near Bethel

Default Plane crash near Bethel

I came across this video while looking through Rokslide. Glad to see everybody walk away from the crash and throw back some shots in celebration of being alive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=PpmzZX7-VtA

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...22X63000&key=1

lucky is all I can say

ouch, those Helios are costly!

Scary, any idea what happened? Too heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
    I prefer to fly with pilots who don't figure "luck" into their load calc.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think he needs a longer lake - ouch!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Agreed. I flew with that guy earlier that week and I was a little "puckered"

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    How does the average Joe tell when a pilot is using "luck"?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Two Polish hunters got a pilot to fly them into the Canadian wilderness, where they managed to bag two big Bull Moose.

As they were loading the plane to return, the pilot said the plane could take only the hunters, their gear and one Moose.

The hunters objected strongly saying, "Last year we shot two, and the pilot let us take them both...and he had exactly the same airplane as
    yours."

Reluctantly the pilot, not wanting to be outdone by another bush pilot, gave in and everything was loaded.

However, even under full power, the little plane couldn't handle the load and went down, crashing in the wooded wilderness.

Somehow, surrounded by the moose, clothing and sleeping bags, Zbyszek and Wladek survived the crash.

After climbing out of the wreckage, Zbyszek asked, "Any idea where we are?"

Zbyszek replied, "I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year."

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How does the average Joe tell when a pilot is using "luck"?
    By weighting their gear and knowing what the plane will haul,,, Not hard to make an educated guest that plane was over gross... I counted at least 4 guys and they were full size dudes, say 200 each, that is 800 pounds of man meat. I'm sure there was some gear in there too. I carry a small travel scale, I know how much they allow and I never ask for them to take more than that to save a trip. All the HCs I have chartered limited me to 750 pounds for off airport even though the plane is rated for more, that extra weight needs more runway.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Who was the transporter?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_3 View Post
    Who was the transporter?
    You can google N910SP for owner/operator info. Not the first time this aircraft has been crashed due to improper weight/balance:

2006-09-12
    THE PILOT ATTEMPTED A TAKEOFF FROM A CONFINED AREA OF THE IDITIROD RIVER. DURING THE TAKEOFF RUN HE DETERMINED THAT HE WOULD NOT BE AIRBORNE PRIOR TO A SHARP TURN IN THE RIVER. HE ABORTED THE TAKEOFF AND RAN AGROUND ON THE RIVER BANK.

1998-07-20
    ON JULY 20, 1998, N910SP, A HELIO H395, OPERATED BY INLAND AVIATION DEPARTED HANGAR LAKE AT BETHEL, ALASKA. UPON REACHING 50' ALTITUDE, THE PILOT RETRACTED THE FLAPS. AT THAT TIME THE AIRCRAFT LOST LIFT AND LANDED IN LITTLE HANGAR LAKE. THE AIRCRAFT CAME TO REST WITH THE LEFT WING AND LEFT EMPONAGE PARTLY SUBMERGED. THE AIRCRAFT WAS OVER LOADED AND OUT OF C/G. THE CARGO WAS NOT TIED DOWN.^PRIVACY DATA OMITTED^
    Believe the current NTSB report is: GAA15CA268, tho the NTSB website is currently inop.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Thanks! That's helpful but disappointing as I have him booked as my transporter!

...and you thought you would have great stories of your hunt. Surviving the trip back to town will impress your friends even more.

Wow, that guy taking the video didn't have any idea how well he documented what happened when he started filming.
    As for the question someone asked about how you know if a pilot is using luck......well, if they don't check the weight, or even tell you what the max weight is, that's a heck of a good sign they're relying on luck. They probably do get pretty good over the years at telling how much a pile of gear weighs, but that's an estimate, and that can cause problems.
    My husband and I are both pilots, and we are incredulous at how people will pester a pilot to A) go in questionable weather and B) take too much weight. We have flown with several different outfits and have seen a wide range of how passengers and pilots act. Geez, I remember back in the late 80s, flying with one of the outfits off of Lake Hood. We were going to PWS, but some other people were headed southwest. It was socked in; we had to wait overnight to get our flight. I remember these other guys pestering the pilot and office manager, trying to say, hey, it doesn't look that bad, let's go, we're wasting time.
    Some people try to sneak in heavy things. Do they really think that if the pilot doesn't see it, then the weight doesn't count? Weight and balance (and that includes having your cargo securely tied down) matters; reference the Otter crash at Soldotna back in 2013. A single-engine Otter on a perfectly good, long runway crashed, killed all 10 people on board.

I think 395's are around 1300# useful. 1200 anyway
    Depending on how outfitted.

Whatever the allowable was, they apparently exceeded it...again. But assuming they return her to service, and continue the same schedule, ol' 0SP aught to be good for another eight years or so.
    #Resist

You've ruled out every other cause? Cool.
    I'm not saying it wasn't overloaded. Probably was.
    I have a hard time ruling out every other possibility from a youtube video tho.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    You've ruled out every other cause?
    Nope.
    I'm not saying it wasn't overloaded. Probably was.
    Yup.
    #Resist

Can't say I'm surprised! Really glad they are all ok!!!