Thread: What 300 win mag bullet for P.O.W. blacktail

Default What 300 win mag bullet for P.O.W. blacktail

I really don't want to buy another riffle to hunt Prince of Wales and don't really think my usual 180 grain bullet is needed. Just looking for some insight on what to shoot.

Thanks
    Boatless

You think it will kill them too dead?

Go as big as possible to reduce velocity and try an save some meat. If you go down to a 165 or 150 your going to be real unpleased with meat loss, unless your taking head shots I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180gr Barnes TTSX

Thanks for the replies. I guess I never thought a 180gr would do "less damage" as far as meat goes.
    Boatless

You can shoot 180's in that caliber just fine for blacktail. Don't worry about the bullet type or spend extra $$$ on a fancy bullet. That load will do just fine even in a corelokt, federal fusion, etc. They might run a bit even when hit in the boiler room, so be sure to check around the spot where he was standing before you conclude a miss. They often run off with little for a blood trail, then pile up dead within 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I never thought a 180gr would do "less damage" as far as meat goes.
    Meat damage is directly proportional to impact velocity. Heavier bullets start slower, and hit slower...and turn less meat into purple jelly.

Case in point is the .270WIN....far more meat loss with a 130gr than with a 300gr bullet out of a .375H&H hitting 900fps slower.

As noted, any decent shooting 180gr will do the trick, just poke them through the lungs and sharpen your knife.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks again for your comments . I've only shot 180gr for moose, bear, and caribou, but wasn't sure if I should go smaller for blacktail.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Thanks again for your comments . I've only shot 180gr for moose, bear, and caribou, but wasn't sure if I should go smaller for blacktail.
    Hunted Kodiak with a group. 3 of the boys packing 300 winnies, 180 grain noslers, didn't hurt the deer much. I shot a 06 with 165s and it was blowing up meats to a degree. Started slinging 180s and that was much mo betta

Release Lake Trout

If you reload you can size down in bullet weight, if you don't reload 165 is a real nice weight. I found this article that might give you a bit more insight on what you are looking for.
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Know...er+Magnum.html

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

How about using full metal jackets? Will they cause a lot of damage too or would they just fly through?

165 or 180's work fine. They are smaller animals and you should get pass throughs, however you will create a large enough wound channel to put them down. No need to go too exotic with your bullets.

Here's a 300 Win Mag Barnes 165 TTSX at 170 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBasargin View Post
    How about using full metal jackets? Will they cause a lot of damage too or would they just fly through?
    The issue of bloodshot meat is caused by impact velocity, not bullet construction.

If I were in the OPs shoes id be shooting the biggest soft point I could get my hands on. Looks like Nosler is loading 190 and 200gr accubonds, Winchester power points or Remington corelokts would be my next choice in 180s.

FMJs are likely to result in run offs and lost animals.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The issue of bloodshot meat is caused by impact velocity
    Going back into the old memory banks, I think the actual terminology is "hydrostatic shock"...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You should NEVER use FMJ rounds on game animals. They're fine for very small animals (i.e. fox, rabbits) where the initial impact absolutely flattens the animal, but for deer size game - that may show NO REACTION to a hit and may run extremely far distances after a hit, they do not provide enough blood for tracking purposes. They're also fine on extremely large animals (i.e. elephant, hippo, rhino, etc) where getting the animal means killing (or incapacitating it) on the spot, by breaking down heavy bones (that a soft point would be unable to penetrate sufficiently). Use some sort of expanding bullet that will provide a blood trail, should it be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You should NEVER use FMJ rounds on game animals. They're fine for very small animals (i.e. fox, rabbits) where the initial impact absolutely flattens the animal, but for deer size game - that may show NO REACTION to a hit and may run extremely far distances after a hit, they do not provide enough blood for tracking purposes. They're also fine on extremely large animals (i.e. elephant, hippo, rhino, etc) where getting the animal means killing (or incapacitating it) on the spot, by breaking down heavy bones (that a soft point would be unable to penetrate sufficiently). Use some sort of expanding bullet that will provide a blood trail, should it be needed.
    Oh i see, I was just wondering because I'll be using a 30-06 on coyotes and wolves if I see them. Thanks for the info

Oh i see, I was just wondering because I'll be using a 30-06 on coyotes and wolves if I see them. Thanks for the info
    There are a bunch of threads on that topic either in the hand loading or trapping forum, can't remember which. Basically for fur you want a fragile bullet that doesn't exit moving fast or a controlled expansion bullet at modest velocity.

barnes ttsx

Wont use any other bullet for big game hunting. I have had less meat damage using my 308 and 338 win using the monolithic bullets then the traditional cup and core bullets. They pencil in the entry hole and make a quarter size exit. The barnes have shot insanely accurate in my 3 rifles that I load for. If you go the barnes route download their load data because you cannot load the same as a cup and core due to the longer OAL of the bullet.

Heres a POW deer I shot today. 300win, 180gr Fusion @ 200yds
    Attached Images Attached Images