Thread: I found a magical powder for 7mm-08s

Default I found a magical powder for 7mm-08s

I've been on vacation this week. I took the whole week off to hunt deer with my muzzleloaders. I was tagged out and had the meat on the freezer by the end of day 4 so I got to move on to some other fun stuff.

Smitty of the North sorta introduced me to a new avenue in my shooting ways. He told me what was wrong with my .277 bullet flinger and sent some words of wisdom my way concerning the .284 bullet flingers. I have fallen in love with the 7mm-08 round. I have 4 of them...it's OK, I have 5 grandsons who are coming up through the ranks. I spent all day today at the range with my 4 little sevens, a Chrony and some of my own reloads.

3 of the 4 guns shot sub moa with both 120 grain Hornady soft points and 175 grain Nosler Accu Bond. Hodgdon CFE 223 was the powder of choice for the 120 grain loads and IMR 4451 for the big bullet. I have been shooting the CFE 223 for a few years and knew what to expect from it. The biggest surprise of the day came with the new to me 4451 powder with the 175 grain Nosler on top. I started with light loads of the untried 4451 and worked up one grain at a time. At the end of the day I was all smiles. The Savage 16 Weather Warrior shot the best with the 175s. Three shots at just a bit over 1/2" along with the Chrony reading that surpassed 2800 fps (2802 average for 3 shots). Since the BC of this bullet is .672 coupled with the obtainable FPS it pretty much trumps our own military's current sniper round ballisticly speaking.

The one gun that would not shoot under an inch with the 175s was the only gun in the pile that came from the factory with a MOA promise that being the Vanguard.

I too have fallen in love with my 7mm-08. I bought it as a mountain gun last year and have found myself reaching for it for just about everything. I have tried 3 different factory loads through it and two of those were sub moa, the Hornady Superformance shot horrible I don't thing I even hit the ground with those rounds. The fusion and the federal vital shok with the Barnes 140tsx shoot exactly the same with sub moa. I'd like to handle ad for it but don't have the time with being a stay at home mom on my weeks off. I ordered a box of the Barnes vor tx 120grn ttsx so we'll see how those shoot when I get them.

Living like kings

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I've been on vacation this week. I took the whole week off to hunt deer with my muzzleloaders. I was tagged out and had the meat on the freezer by the end of day 4 so I got to move on to some other fun stuff.

Smitty of the North sorta introduced me to a new avenue in my shooting ways. He told me what was wrong with my .277 bullet flinger and sent some words of wisdom my way concerning the .284 bullet flingers. I have fallen in love with the 7mm-08 round. I have 4 of them...it's OK, I have 5 grandsons who are coming up through the ranks. I spent all day today at the range with my 4 little sevens, a Chrony and some of my own reloads.

3 of the 4 guns shot sub moa with both 120 grain Hornady soft points and 175 grain Nosler Accu Bond. Hodgdon CFE 223 was the powder of choice for the 120 grain loads and IMR 4451 for the big bullet. I have been shooting the CFE 223 for a few years and knew what to expect from it. The biggest surprise of the day came with the new to me 4451 powder with the 175 grain Nosler on top. I started with light loads of the untried 4451 and worked up one grain at a time. At the end of the day I was all smiles. The Savage 16 Weather Warrior shot the best with the 175s. Three shots at just a bit over 1/2" along with the Chrony reading that surpassed 2800 fps (2802 average for 3 shots). Since the BC of this bullet is .672 coupled with the obtainable FPS it pretty much trumps our own military's current sniper round ballisticly speaking.

The one gun that would not shoot under an inch with the 175s was the only gun in the pile that came from the factory with a MOA promise that being the Vanguard.
    You have a tuff life EKC:

All those hunting opportunities. How DO you keep up with them?

I reckon I'm behind times, since I've got 7x57s, but no 7mm-08s.

I don't know those powders, either. I been usin H414/W760 and IMR 4350.

I'm glad to hear of someone using the heavy bullets in the 7mm-08. That's what I'd do, myself.

Most 7mm cartridges use barrels that have adequate twist for heavier bullets. That's one reason I like that caliber. BUT, I still have time for my 30-30s. And, the EKC ML.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Love the 7mm08 . I have a model seven as well. God I need to get that rifle up from idaho so I can start really playing with it. Old pop uses it on deer sometimes but mostly sticks true to his 6mm remmy 660. Both are superb shorties. Thanks for sharing this EKC I'm gonna tuck it away for later.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    You have a tuff life EKC:

All those hunting opportunities. How DO you keep up with them?

I reckon I'm behind times, since I've got 7x57s, but no 7mm-08s.

I don't know those powders, either. I been usin H414/W760 and IMR 4350.

I'm glad to hear of someone using the heavy bullets in the 7mm-08. That's what I'd do, myself.

Most 7mm cartridges use barrels that have adequate twist for heavier bullets. That's one reason I like that caliber. BUT, I still have time for my 30-30s. And, the EKC ML.

SOTN
    I am fortunate Smitty. My hunting honey hole is a good one. It's located next to a large nature preserve. The farmers in the area get lots of debridation tags to help thin the doe population. One of my good friends farms next to my lease and he received 25 debridation tags for this season. Since my lease is in the same county zone my friend gave me five of those tags to start out with. those tags can be used in any deer hunting season that I choose. I also purchased a buck tag and a doe tag for early muzzle loader season and also purchased a buck and doe tag for archery season. I can harvest 9 deer this season........and none of it goes to waist. By the time January 10 roles around I am usually sick and tired of cutting and packaging venison. Yet the appreciation that the old folks show when they get some meat keeps me doing it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's great, EKC:

Especially, giving it to "old folks".

Someone gave us a bunch of Moose meat this year.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's great, EKC:

Especially, giving it to "old folks".

Someone gave us a bunch of Moose meat this year.

SOTN
    Smitty when I moved to this town clear back in 76 I didn't have permission to hunt anywhere with in 100 miles. A couple older gents that were always hanging out at the local gunshop took me under their wings. They always invited me to hunt with them. " Older" ha they were around 40ish. It wasn't long until I had goodlaces to hunt and some good guys to learn from. They taught me to reload, shoot a bow and let me be part of the gang. Several of the guys that preceded me by 1 generation have retired from hunting & fishing but they still like a loin steak as well as ever. They would never ask or expect a thing from me but I feel a responsibility to get them each a cooler full of meat. After all it won't be long until I am where they're at now.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elmerkeithclone again."
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I like 4064, 748 and 760 for the 7-08. I also used some Accurate Arms powder but can't recall at the moment which one. It is a pretty forgiving cartridge.

The one gun that I don't have that I should have is a Ruger 77 Ultralight in 7mm-08. I have really taken a shine to my Savage model 10 SS Ultralight and it shoots lights out and weighs 5.5 lbs. With the straight 4x Leupold and loaded it's probably a pound more. I doubt the Ruger 77 could do any thing that the Savage can't but I still want one. I have only seen a couple and they were both north of $800 and I don't want one that bad.

The 7mm-08 is very forgiving and it shoots well with a host of powders and bullet combinations and would be my first choice if I could have but one centerfire.

Interesting. My wife's vanguard 7-08 has been a challenging rifle to nail down and accurate load for as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting. My wife's vanguard 7-08 has been a challenging rifle to nail down and accurate load for as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Have you been absent for a while? I don't remember hearing much from you for awhile. Glad your still with us. I think the problem I have with the Vanguard is it's long throated. The ammo that shoots the best in my Savage has a loaded COL .15 inches shorter than what the Weatherby's long throat will handle. I hate to load a bunch of ammo for the the Weatherby and then have somebody grab some ammo intended for the Weatherby only and then try to shoot it in the Savage. They would be shoving that bullet .15 inches into the rifling and with the warm ones anyway it might cause some very much unwanted pressure problems. I think I will load some ammo specifically for the Weatherby then send it in another direction....like home with my son and tell him the ammo that is with it is for that gun only. I think the accuracy would improve if I weren't jumping such an air gap to get to the rifling. Make sense?