Thread: Mad River Adventure

Default Mad River Adventure

I am looking for info from anyone that has spent time in a Mad River Adventure. I am looking at the 16 foot version and would be using it in mostly smaller lakes. The reviews I have read are mixed on stability and that is one of my main concerns because I would be using it with my young kids. Any info would be great. Thanks

I have an older Mad River, can't recall the model name at the moment. Only time I tipped it was when we floated broadside against a rock. I did check out the REI reviews and they are certainly all over the map. One of them made a good point though, with REI's return policy you should be able to find a canoe that meets your needs.

Edit to add: It would sure be nice if Mad River showed you the cross section view of the hull as seen from the bow

Thank you, didn't think about the return policy. I have only been in a canoe a few times so stability is for me too. I am split between a canoe and the beavertail stealth 2000. Down side with the stealth is two people max but very stable

Not the same boat, but I have had 3 Mad River Explorers in both Kevlar and Royalex- fantastic canoe to paddle with 1-3 people and I have covered lots of water with them in various conditions. Mad River used to have cross section pics available in brochures and hull pics in videos. Good luck with picking a boat!

Try 'em if you can. Years ago we used Old Town canoes at work. When the Wife and I had enough $ we thought we'd get an Old Town. One of the local canoe shops had a "try day" and we went up to try some of the various canoes. We fell in love with the Mad River Explorer and bought one.

Our canoe is a bit more wiggley when almost straight up, but when it starts to roll to one side, it only goes a few degrees and stops solid. Please note the Explorer is different than the one you mentioned.

I think it was two years ago that I was on the Nancy Lakes trail and watched a couple load up their camping gear and four little ones into a canoe and paddle off. I can't visualize the canoe for sure, but I think it was a Wenanah. Seemed to do just fine.

There is a wealth of information on paddling.net....here is a buyers guide...
    http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show...html?prod=1702
    I have had Old Town and We No Nah...I found Old Town and Mad River to be heavy boats...ck out We no nah in royalex or Kevlar...usually the wider the beam the more stable....it's all a trade off with design.