Thread: Double Cam 60# vs. Single cam 70#

Default Double Cam 60# vs. Single cam 70#

So it's been about 10 years since I sold my bow due to a back injury. I want to get back into archery now and I'm a little overwhelmed with the many choices and could use some advice. I want to get a 70# draw but due to my back injury I'm leaning towards a 60# double cam. I will be moose hunting with it primarily.

My question is how does a 60# double cam rate up to a 70# single cam? The bow I have in mind is the new Martin Lithium LTD.

I shot a 70# bow for about 15 years, the first bow I had that would shoot that was a Martin prowler and on the crono it was about 165fps. I then had a hoyt that maxed out was 69# and would shoot about 180fps. Then I had shoulder surgery and had to drop my draw weight just to be able to shoot again. I now shoot 58# from a Bear agenda 6 and am shooting somewhere around the 240-260fps range but I need to crono it to see exactly how fast it's shooting. Compared to my older bows the new bows are rockets. I used this new setup last year to take a 60" bull.
    The new bows are amazing so my advice is to get what you can shoot comfortably, my bear has a nice draw weight range where if I get to a point I can pull more I can crank it up a bit. The lower draw weights now are so much faster than what we could get 10 years ago shooting 80#.

Living like kings

I have had two pass through moose shots with a 60# solo cam. The speed and smoothness is awesome. Solo or dual cams is just a personal choice IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You aren't going to see very much difference in speed with either one. Get the weight range that you want/need. If you have to pick the bow over your head and pull hard it is too much bow. A nice straight handed easy draw is what you should have. Find one that you like and shoot a couple different brands before you buy.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I we're in your shoes, I'd go to one of the pro shops (Full Curl, Screaming Eagle, Cabelas etc), and shoot a bunch of different bows...see what you like.