Thread: Scout with Cub gear

Default Scout with Cub gear

Interesting plane for sale; 8GCBC, O-360, Cub gear mod, and modified leading edge (no idea what that means). Who has 1st hand knowledge of the Scout, and original gear. What are the pros and cons of that gear? Compare that to cub gear, what's the difference? How tough is each? Now, why would you change the original gear out for Cub gear?
    You can see a photo of the plane on AlaskasList. I can't tell, but it looks like this set up may not be as tall as on original gear?
    Something to think about. Just wondering what you experts think and see.
    ARR

S.T.O.L. KIT = Improved stability at low air speed and higher angle of attack. (More Lift)

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    modified leading edge (no idea what that means).

I'd go for the Cub gear. Yes, the plane sits lower, and improved prop clearance isn't as good, but it's easier to install safety cables on Cub gear. In bush work, and especially on skis, that's a big plus for me . . .

Modified leading edge I'd guess a cuff of some sort, like Sportsman's STOL, but the photo doesn't really show what they did. I can't see leading edge slats or such.
    When I read the ad closely, it says "Cub type landing gear". So is it Cub or not? Isn't extended cub gear made now? If you were going to do this mod, why not go taller? All things being equal, ground clearance is a consideration for off strip work.
    Wonder if they removed the gear boxes to save weight? Is the Piper gear lighter than the Scout gear?
    At first blush, the price is appealing. At least low enough to start a conversation. In US $$ less than $20K
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Modified leading edge I'd guess a cuff of some sort, like Sportsman's STOL, but the photo doesn't really show what they did. I can't see leading edge slats or such.

Wonder if they removed the gear boxes to save weight? Is the Piper gear lighter than the Scout gear?

ARR
    Cal centers 7gcbc cuff. Basically the same wing…..hopefully something like that

I'd think the tubing the gear bolts to wasn't removed….but nothing would surprise me looking at that rig.
    Better yet- Do you think any structure was added to support the loads at the aft gear fitting when the gear was put on?

If you could un-modify it (paperwork still there?) you'd have a decent airplane.
    I like scouts. But that thing is a mess.
    Then again - at $20k you have a lot of $ you can throw at it I guess…..

True, you'd expect or hope they added support where needed. Great point. I have not been around Citabrias for a long time. Only have a few hours in an ECA and a GCBC over 30 years ago. Wonder what a cuff, or leading edge mod, would do for performance? That gear though. Makes a guy wonder.
    ARR