Thread: Across Cook Inlet

Default Across Cook Inlet

Will be in Kenai area July 28-Aug 20. Have plane and looking for rivers to fish across the Cook Inlet to get away from the crowds. Combat fishing like on the Russian/Kenai confluence does nothing for me. Appreciate any good information.

Are you on wheels or floats?

Charterboat Operator

try silver salmon creek in the middle of August. run timing will be the only issue. If the fish are late you will be early but if on a normal cycle you should have a ball. Definitly more bears than people!

Default Across Cook Inlet

Thanks Pole Bender. gusdog44........we will be on wheels.

I used to fish Polly Creek for chums in July and silvers in August during the 70's and 80's but haven't been there in 5-6 years. There is also good clamming at Polly Creek, if the commercial diggers haven't taken them all. You can land on the beach but just have to play the tides right and avoid high tide. Watch out for the bears in the tall grass.

Default I agree

I agree with Pole Bender. You might give Dave Coray at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge a call. His place is very close to the creek. He can tell you the status of the coho run and the appearance of the local bruins.

Also, you might consider visiting there on a low tidal cycle. Most of the creek is tidal so it's difficult to fish on a very high tide (frog water). Plus, the creek is known for the sea lions chasing the salmon up the creek at high tide. Not so much at low tide.

But if you get over there, the coho are normally larger than average (mid to high teens are common, with an occasional 20lber) and there are plenty of pinks and chums to keep it lively.

If that wasn't enough, the razor clams are an untouched resource. At low tide, they're everywhere along the beach. They are so common that Dave and his crew use'em for halibut bait.

Default Theodore River

The Theodore River is popular with the local pilots. There are a couple nice sand bars I see people land on and some choose to land on the well station access road that runs parallel to the stream. The Theodore has a nice Coho run in August.

Default silver salmon creek

i 3rd silver saolmon creek, it is a blast!