Thread: Yamaha 4 stroke SHO Jet?

Default Yamaha 4 stroke SHO Jet?

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the SHO and standard outboards? Does not 150 hp = 150 hp whats the SHO designation mean? Wondering if anyone has seen one of these with a jet pump on it. Thinking of a repower and just curious about these motors.

Thanks

My understanding is that the "Super High Output" is different than the standard 150hp motor in that the HO designation means that it guarantees that its output will be equal to or better than its hp rating. Meaning that you will get at least 150 hp out of it. Non High Output motors in the industry can be within a tolerance of +/- 10% of its rating. So, a non HO 150 hp motor could actually only put out only 135 hp and be sold as a 150. That's how it was explained anyway when I read about it once. The motor in question at the time was the Evinrude HO but the same issue applies with the Yamaha I believe. If someone knows better, please correct me as I'm no expert. I'm sure there is more to it than that...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The VF150 (SHO) is built with the same powerhead as the F200, using the 2.8L block and variable intake cam timing. The standard F150 uses a 2.7L block with standard DOHC. The V6 SHO models can deliver the full performance capability of the block on acceleration (nearly 300hp for a 4.2L powerhead) then level off to their rated HP. They are rated for their HP at idle and WOT and that is regulated by the computer. So there is some benefit to the SHO models other than cool graphics and different looking cowlings.
    I've run the F200 2.8L with a jet pump and I was very impressed with it, there is more power there than the F150 or the 2.8L F175 that I'm currently running. I don't know if the power difference will make up for the price difference however. You can get the F150 in a jet configuration from Yamaha and not have to buy the lower unit plus a separate Jet drive, where with the VF150 you will buy a motor with a lower unit and have to buy your pump separately. The F150 Jet is a pretty solid performer at a pretty good price.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK